• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Code Question

Well, it's lacking power in the last week or so. Mostly around 1,600rpm. CEL just came on today.
I don't hear any hissing, but there is a bogging noise around the intake/airbox area when you try to accelerate under load @ about 1600 and higher. The converter is a little noisy (rattle). Changed the plugs/wires, and the plugs altough old, looked clean and dry. The motor runs great, burns no oil, and has 45-50lbs of oil pressure.
Ordered a tester today, and I should have it in the morning. I have no problem replacing the Cat, but I'll be laying in the snow covered driveway to do it, and at $175, I just want to make sure.

And the code is........PO420.
Just as I thought. Thanks for the help guys.
Now, during a storm, I just have to change out the Cat and Muffler. AARRRGHhhh

Changed both the cat and muffler, and it seems better. I only drove it a few miles but my acceleration seems to be back. Hard to tell with snowcovered roads. The old cat was JUNK. Looked ok on the outside, but the inside was pooched.

You may still have a problem. A broken (rattle), pouched CAT is usually caused by the engine running too rich. IF you recently fixed a rich running problem, then you may be OK now, other wise if it is running rich it may cook and break the new CAT pretty quickly. I would get an volt meter and check the front O2 sensor readings while the engine is running.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1012701&highlight=oxygen+test&page=7

To be honest, the cat has been doing the death rattle for almost a year, yeah I know sad... I don't think it's running rich. The old plugs looked like it may have been running lean if anything. I can check the upstream o2 sensor. I'm no stranger to multi-meters, and I'm not mechanicly challenged or anything. It's just that I'm more used to dual point distributors, 4 barrel carbs, and all that stuff....Hello, my name is hillcilmber and I am old..

Yep, some of us cut our first teeth on carbs, points, etc, :eek: LOL! My first intro to Electronic fuel injection was my 87 Renix Wagoneer when I bought it around 2006. It eventually replaced my 73 Ford LTD, 351 V-8 with a 2 barrel....which still only had 87,000 miles on it when I finally sold it in 2007-8?

Back