• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Military Style Battery Clamp Question

amsuco

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,
I've been lurking for a long time on this site and learned a lot. Now I've joined and have a question. I'm waiting on a set of Mean Lemons cables. I also need a new battery. Conventional wisdom had me looking for a dual terminal AGM battery. But if I'm switching to military style battery clamps, is there really going to be a benefit to having the DT, or should I just plan on hooking everything up to the top posts? My 1990 Comanche is stock right now. I just want to make sure it's set up for any changes I make down the road, like a possible winch addition. Thanks!

Beware. The side terminals can't handle as much current as the top posts. If you are going to run a winch, only connect to the top posts.

Good point about the winch needing to go to the top post. The military style clamp on the top post will also be where my cable to the starter goes as well. So if both of those are going to the top post, that's what got me wondering what use I'm still going to have for side terminals. I'm hoping to get some input from somebody who is currently running the military style clamps and see what they think.

I have mil style clamps. You can add a ton of stuff to them. They work great. I have a dt battery too. I have no use for the side post, but back when I bought them they were a higher CCA battery. Not sure if that still holds true but I get batteries thrubwork for cheap so not a huge deal for me.

I use the side terminals as a dedicated power source for the CB radio,fuse at the battery and QD plug inside. Just un-plug and remove.

regarding Military style clamps -- Where are you guys buying quality ones?

I have gotten mine from Waytek, but Prime 4x4 is a supporting vendor and they have them too.

I have dual terminals, but I don't bother to use the side terminals. I don't care for the side terminals.

I have the marine brass type battery clamps like Jeep Driver above, but don't have anything but battery cables connected to them. I prefer to use a bus bar from the PDC for accessories rather than the battery connections, but I'm not sure if that is possible with the PDC in the '90 model. There's no point in having dual terminals if you do it this way, and keeps the wiring much less cluttered.

Last edited:
Optima sure isnt what it used to be. We put red tops in some of the stuff at work and I replace them every 3 months or so. Cant use a different battery until the contract runs out. But when it does, I will send a bag of dicks (ruindays.com) to optima.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Just a thought on the side post battery issue. Both Costco wholesale, and even Walmart are selling size 24 batteries that are marine deep cycle, starting batteries with 1000cca, for around $100. AGM sound good in theory, but give me a good lead acid battery any day, at half the cost!

Back