• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes?

jdxj

NAXJA Forum User
Will the brake rotors and callipers form a LP D30 out of a 01 work on a HP d30 from a 94? Thanks. :dunno:

If you switch the unit bearings and knuckles over too, yes.

In fact, you should switch the axle shafts too - they have bigger joints.

I thought the unit bearings were diffrant. Will the 01 bearings fit the 94 axle?

The knuckles and calipers have to be from the same year.

The unit bearings and rotors have to be from the same year.

It doesn't matter -what- year, just the same as the paired component.

If you're going to change out knucles, why not go WJ?

(BTW I have no idea what i'm talking about, so I don't know if this mod works on all Dana 30s)

splitz said:

(BTW I have no idea what i'm talking about, so I don't know if this mod works on all Dana 30s)

Very high cost
Very high complication

Figure $600 and the requirement of a good welder, if you use some used parts. If you go all new, its over a grand.

splitz said:

That is my plan eventually. But I'm still saving up parts.:looney: Main reason to swap axels is my 01 has a LP( low pinion) and the 94 has a HP for better driveline angles.

On that thought though will the bearings from either work with the WJ Knuckles

cal said:
Very high cost
Very high complication

Figure $600 and the requirement of a good welder, if you use some used parts. If you go all new, its over a grand.

Not to tottally hi-jack and get too far off topic, but is it really that complicated? I've read the how to a few times now and I'm starting to gain confidence that I can do it (with some help).

I wouldn't do it unless I found a 99-04 Grand (I think that is the years) at the Pick and Pull. I would probably end up buying new rotors and definately new pads, and I haven't factored in the steering issues yet, but $600 for?:

WJ calipers*
WJ knuckles with caliper brakets and hardware
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WJ rotors [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/4" hub spacers (buyJKS 930 here)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/4" caliper spacers (easily made with a holesaw and drill press) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Brake fluid[/FONT]

Ya but if you do that then your steering won't work and new steering
Ends
Tie rod
Drag link
trackbar relocate bracket
Adds Up quick.

jdxj said:
Ya but if you do that then your steering won't work and new steering
Ends
Tie rod
Drag link
trackbar relocate bracket
Adds Up quick.

Ok, you replied to my hi-jack so I don't feel so bad now.

I haven't factored in that part yet. I still have a lot of research to do on that. I picked up my ZJ tie rod for $12 at the PnP, so I'm hoping what ever type of steering I figure out, I can get the parts from there.

Like I said, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm learning as I go along, and talk out of my ass while doing it.

Back