• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

(tail) pipe dreams..

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
ok.. i'm thinking ahead of myself here a bit so i havent done much research.. i'm lifting my 87 to 5" in the spring and i am planning on using some extended shackles as part of the kit.. i expect this to interfere with the tail pipe.. common fix is just to cut off the offending section oof pipe. i am not comfortable with this band-aid.. i dont like trapping that much bad gas under the body and heat near the gas tank.. heres my question..
how closely do the XJ and MJ exhaust systems compare?? the MJ has a side exit tail pipe is the only thing i'm sure of.. i assume it is able to exit to the side because it is a spring-under and the leaf packs must be a bit longer and slightly longer shackles as well.. creating useable space ABOVE the springpack for a tail pipe.. with a 3.5" spring and a 1.5" shackle i would think i'd have enough room to run an MJ pipe out the side.. that is if it will match up with the rest of the system routing...
thanx guys....
mike

don't sweat about cutting the pipe. you only have to remove 2 or 3 inches, so nothing changes except the slight rubbing on the shackle. this is certainly easier and more cost effective than retrofitting it.

just my .02

dan f.

sidriptide said:
.. common fix is just to cut off the offending section oof pipe. i am not comfortable with this band-aid.. i dont like trapping that much bad gas under the body and heat near the gas tank..
I bought a tailpipe straight end at the local auto parts store for under $10 (including clamp) and after cutting off the bend in the existing tailpipe, I attached the straight end pipe and cut it off at an angle so that it was even with the rear bumper. I misted it with black primer, so the plain steel wouldn't look new and it works perfectly.

You guys are silly. I cut my tailcrap off years ago at the muffler & have a simple turndown on the end of the flowmaster. It works fine, never smelled a fume. :rolleyes:

thats another issue but to pass inspection here in massachusetts you need the full exhaust that came OEM..... i figure an MJ tail pipe would be a safe compromise that most inpectors wont catch, or at least care about.... so back to my initial question....
do you think i'll have room above the spring to do this? and will i have to cut the bottom off the rocker to clear it? and si an MJ actually set up like i think it is??
mike

Hey Mike,

About a week or two ago on one of the forums, there was someone mentioning that they had done exactly what you are talking about. Might have been XJGuy.

The thread was about shackle clearance or mufflers...

Personally, I cut off just enough to eliminate the shackle interference. Still has some downturn in the pipe. You could probably do the same, but put an 'extension' tip for the inspection -- then remove it.

Back