• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Torque Converter symptoms...

csr_011

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, lets hear some experiences.

Do torque converters just quit one day?
Can they slowly wear out and fail?
What are some little symptoms that arise?

Just trying to narrow down the gremlins on the 87 4.0, 4 door, auto, 4x4 Cherokee. (Trans/torque converter have 264k on them) Maybe something t c related.

Thanks.

Cory

The TC may quit all at once. It may slowly go out, leaving you stranded when you least expect it. The most common symptoms are: hesistation when engaging gear, followed by some slippage before enough pressure is built up to make the TC work. Don't worry too much though, there is a band-aid fix that will get you by for a while. My Jeep had the symptoms I listed and I found a short term fix. When you change your oil, drain the tranny and add one bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix and the rest Dex/Merc 3 to top it off. The Lucas is extremely thick and pours slowly. Cut a hole or two in the bottom, stick it upside down in the tranny filler and do your oil change. Eventually, it will empty itself and you can top it off. I do this everytime I change my oil an my TC hasn't crapped out yet, but it will eventually. It's lasted a year, so I just keep doing it. When I first got my Jeep, it wouldn't engage until the motor was hot and sometime couldn't find reverse.

If you suspect something funky with torque convertor you should be aware how the TPS (throttle position sensor) influences transmission driveability. 1st time mine started to show symptoms, I thought the tranny or TC was going down but after TPS replacement, it's back to normal.

Kinda hard to test TPS for smooth operation without an analog meter though...

Ok, here is what the jeep is doing. The TC was just a thought and the only thing we havent looked at. The motor and tranny mounts are good upon visual inspection with big pry bar.

-On some bumps(railroad tracks, potholes....), especially when cold, it feels as if the drivetrain free floats or jiggles back and forth for a sec, like its slipping a gear or something.

-Sometimes during accelleration at different rpm ranges it will buck a time or two with the same effect as listed above.

-After coming to a stoplight/stop sign at a complete stop it, it will jerk when i release the brake pedal like the trans didnt completely gear down or something of the like. Like its under tension then releases when i let the brake go and accellerate.

-Sometimes, very seldom though, if i give it hell off the line it makes a funny grinding type sound(not sure if that is the right wording) and revs up higher, but doesnt go like it should at that rpm. Had the tranny shop try this a few times and of course, it performs like it should.....

TPS is new, may not be adjusted correctly.

CPS tests fine, but i am thinking about cutting the connectors and straight wiring/soldering the harness to CPS just in case the plugs are wore out, the connnectors are clean and have dielectric grease in them, all connectors do.

IAC is new, throttle body is clean, TV cable may need a bit of adjustment.

Tranny fluid is not bright red, but is not burned or at least doesnt smell burned.

May be some vacuum leaks, going to have the vacuum test done soon.

Ask away if i have forgotten anything else. This is my only running problem now.

Thanks,

Cory

Check the brake switch that is near the top of the brake pedal lever. It tells your TC to unlock when the brake is pressed. If it has back out a bit then the switch may be telling the trans TCU to unlock the TC.

What about the transmission mount. I had my cracked and I had the same funky feelings when stopping or releasing the brake

Back