• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ LM7 5.3 swap

Great build! I love the sound, what are you using for the muffler?

Great build! I love the sound, what are you using for the muffler?
I recently switched back to flowmaster delta 50 series, because with the dynomax turbomuffler I missed the V8 pulsing sound.
Now I am very happy with this setup.

WJ brakes and steering work great. Leaking from the rear engine cover is solved. The PCM tuning is almost perfect - the consumption shrinks from 11 mpg to 18 mpg and the PE mode is working accurately.

I think the next bigger update will be the NV3500 manual swap :laugh:

I recently switched back to flowmaster delta 50 series, because with the dynomax turbomuffler I missed the V8 pulsing sound.

Crap. That's the muffler I just bought. I don't care for the drone and overall loudness of the Flowmasters.

automatic transmission 4l60e swap to manual NV3500 begins. first I had to get all the necessary parts: pedals from manual XJ, NV3500 transmission, adapter ring to 231J TC, master cylinder (from XJ), slave cylinder GM, flywheel, clutch kit, flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, clutch hose, etc..

old pedals restoration:
IMG_4197.JPG

IMG_4209.JPG

clutch kit and slave cylinder
IMG_4517.JPG

XJ master cylinder with russel TJ clutch hose
IMG_4569.JPG

4l60E out:
IMG_5152.JPG

the NV3500 is about 50 lbs lighter
IMG_5227.JPG

flywheel and pilot bearing instalation
IMG_5208.JPG

clutch
IMG_5210.JPG

IMG_5217.JPG

slave cylinder with russel TJ clutch hose
IMG_5228.JPG

IMG_5233.JPG

the shifter columm needed some triming
IMG_5266.JPG

4l60e wiring removal, P/N switch bypassing - the ECM should 'know' that the transmission is in P/N position because of idle airflow management
IMG_5306.JPG

I had to offset the shifter because of the center console clearance
IMG_5322.JPG

shifter instal
IMG_5325.JPG

IMG_5334.JPG

I need a new cumstom boot for the shifter because the stock XJ manual boot willl not fit the offset shifter
IMG_5358.JPG

now I am waiting for the driveshafts to be lengthen and shorten..

Looks great. I want to install a LS series but all those wires!!:gee:

GM wiring harnesses are a hell of a lot easier to work on then the Jeep harness.

GM does one wire for power and one return or ground. the jeep has all of these dumb power chain splices and ground chain splices UGH.

driveshafts ready and installed
IMG_5485.JPG

I have to say driving stickshift XJ is really fun, driving stickshift V8 XJ is much more fun. The NV3500 is not a fast transmission but lot more fun than boring AW4 or 4l60e.

HPtuners shows the LM7 (after some tuning) is producing about 220 ft lbs torque at 1.000 rpm and about 300 ft lbs at 2.000 rpm so the driving is like with a big volume turbo diesel, I really enjoyng it :yelclap:

How'd you attach the lines to the cooler? If you just hose clamped them, keep an eye on them. I had one that popped off on a cold start. After that I bought hard line to AN adapters so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

I know that's on the low pressure side of the system but without barbs or a rolled edge to secure the hose, it can still work it's way loose.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

How'd you attach the lines to the cooler? If you just hose clamped them, keep an eye on them. I had one that popped off on a cold start. After that I bought hard line to AN adapters so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

I know that's on the low pressure side of the system but without barbs or a rolled edge to secure the hose, it can still work it's way loose.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I just clamped them and they holded on the automatic trans line without problems long time but thanks for advice

If you end up redoing the exhaust again, check into Spintech mufflers. They sound awesome and will build one just about any way you want.
Sweet build tho!

I am satisfied with the flowmaster delta series but if you say the sound of the Spintech is awesome I have to checked their products because you never know what is better

looking/sounding good!

Back