• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ Rubi front axle swap a good idea?

smallredxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. So I recently located a set of TJ Rubicon Dana 44's on the local craigslist, and i'm wondering what the general consensus is on swapping Rubicon axles into an XJ. I currently have an 8.8 out back, so i'm more focused on the front- but if I can get the rear for a decent price I may go for it. As far as the front axle- I am aware that its a low pinion axle, and it also uses the same size U-Joints as my current HP30, but it does have an air locker and 4.10s obviously. I also can't weld and as far as I know this axle should bolt in. But overall- is it worth it? I really like the idea of having that bigger ring and pinion even if it is LP and obviously an air locker. It would also save me from a re-gear on the D30 come this summer. Additionally- don't plan on going past 33x10.5 so i know this axle could take it. Thoughts? Thanks!

It all depends on the money! Everything you said is correct and add a air source to the cost.

As RCP said. Depends on the money. If you can get it for 800 or less go for it, otherwise its just not worth it.

Its not a common swap simply because they are uncommon and expensive, but they do work just fine.

Keep in mind that buying them, they each use their own low pressure air compressor - make sure those are included. Hooking them up to onboard air will just break them.

Well it isn't meant to be I guess. The guy wants to sell them as a pair apparently :/. It did get me inspired though, now I really want one of these axles lol.

If you did it, i would do the pair.

He's totally in the right there.

i assume they're the ones on there for 3500? not worth it IMO...it isn't ideal gearing for 33's, and it isn't much of an upgrade.

I would buy the pair for sure if I could afford it (college budget restrictions). The guy told me if he wasn't able to sell the pair in a week he'd let me know. Also while were talking about Rubicons, how about the T-Case, Np241j I think? i'm not too familiar with them but I know there 4:1 low range. Would this be a worthy upgrade/ would it bolt up?

The NP241OR is a great upgrade, again it depends on price. I paid "dearly" to JB Customs for a new one when they first came out - 1700$ worth!

I would not do it before gears and lockers though. Those will be your best bang for the buck.

I have TJ Rubicon D44s in my junk. The front is basically a D30 with a D44 pumpkin and 30-spline inner shafts. The rear tubes are also weak but its a 30-spline D44. Tremendous aftermarket support for them. Yes hey have air lockers, and the rear has a hybrid torsen LSD / air locker that is awesome for a hybrid street/trail setup. But you need to use their compressors or build very-low-pressure regulators (~5 PSI), or else you will blow the seals on the lockers. The lockers are also supposed to be kind of fragile.

IMO if they are already built and priced less than you can build equivalents, you should buy them. Even if you don't want the rear 44 you can sell it to someone who does.

As of now I don't think I'll be able to track down any Rubicon parts for a decent price. I very much underestimated just how expensive, especially the axles, would be. However it does make sense considering how few they made. Anyways for my purpose I think building up my D30 would be a better and much more cost effective option.

Back