• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winters AW4 Shifter-RADesigns upgraded

R.DesJardin

NAXJA Forum User
So Winters is now selling AW4 shifters. I saw that these were going to be available right after the PRI Show I was at, so I had to buy one. I always like the Winters design.
So I made a Electronic Shift Control kit for my Winters shifter. No holes to drill, just bolt on a few brackets and a couple cams on, and wire in the 3 switches and go wheel. It's designed to give me 1-4 shift control electrically while using the mechanical shifter, this will help with downshifting and compression braking. Not what I need for snow wheelin' but here in the Midwest I think it will work fine.
Still have to get out and test it but at least all the parts are done.
I modified the side name plates for a little personal touch, yes crappy pic.
IMGP0116.jpg

Parts
IMGP0122-1.jpg

IMGP0126.jpg

All the angles
IMGP0124.jpg

IMGP0118-1.jpg

IMGP0112.jpg

this is exactly what i was looking for i think. so this replaces the stock shifter so you use just one stick to shift from park to 1st all having manual control?

instead of the OEM shifter and then the 2nd gear controller?

this is exactly what i was looking for i think. so this replaces the stock shifter so you use just one stick to shift from park to 1st all having manual control?

instead of the OEM shifter and then the 2nd gear controller?

Yes, this replaces the stock floor shifter and then it gives you all the features of the electronic control as well as hydraulic control that the floor shifter allows, ie compression braking.
I always like these shifters and now that there is a model for the AW trans, (part#607-1) I figured for the guys that want this instead of my Rock shifter and the companion controller of either a Rail or Baja I would make a kit to incorporate the controller into the Winters shifter.
Unfortunately you can't get a reverse pattern with one of these, or get direct from any fwd gear to reverse shifting. But not eveyone needs that feature.

With this setup does postion 3 become the normal fully automatic setting on the transmission?

How do you access 3rd for towing (i.e. lock out 4th).

With this setup does postion 3 become the normal fully automatic setting on the transmission?

How do you access 3rd for towing (i.e. lock out 4th).

When the lever is in 3, moving the shift lever from the left side to right side will shift to 4th, and of course moving it from the right side to the left side shifts to 3rd.
No fully auto feature unless you wired in a switch to choose either manual control with the kit shown or auto/TCM control.

So, the button for 4th inside the shifter could be replaced with a switch to switch between auto and manual?

Just thinking that the requirement to hold fourth manually is pointless for most people. Maybe for Jeepspeed apps it makes sense but otherwise...

Wow, this is exactly the solution i've wanted.

I love the rail shift, but hate that I have to play with both the shifter and the rail control.

When will you have pricing info for this? I'd love to use it in my 01.

I would do it if the 4th gear selection was for standard auto shift and not to hold 4th. I daily drive my XJ and I don't want to be shifting it all the time, I would just like to be able to select from 3-1 when offload.

how does the torgue converter lock up work? do you still need a seperate switch to lock and unlock the TC?

So, the button for 4th inside the shifter could be replaced with a switch to switch between auto and manual?

Just thinking that the requirement to hold fourth manually is pointless for most people. Maybe for Jeepspeed apps it makes sense but otherwise...
Cool idea, I think I could make that happen, I'll look into it.

Wow, this is exactly the solution i've wanted.

I love the rail shift, but hate that I have to play with both the shifter and the rail control.

When will you have pricing info for this? I'd love to use it in my 01.
Right now if I get enough interest I'm thinking around $140.00 for the kit with the 3 switches.

how does the torgue converter lock up work? do you still need a seperate switch to lock and unlock the TC?
TC lock is still in need of a seperate switch, since this is only needed for highway that's a pretty simple add-on.

So much want! I'll buy one to replace the relocated stock mech shifter in my buggy. Saves me the trouble and space of a second shifter for manual control.

So the cable enters at the backside opposite of Park? A longer or rerouted cable would be needed to keep the shifter properly orientated?

So the cable enters at the backside opposite of Park? A longer or rerouted cable would be needed to keep the shifter properly orientated?

i noticed that as well. if you can turn these out with a fully auto mode either by the way a previous poster said, or by just giving us another switch to choose manual or auto like you can with the TC lockup, i'll be picking one up! these things light up the gear selection?

i noticed that as well. if you can turn these out with a fully auto mode either by the way a previous poster said, or by just giving us another switch to choose manual or auto like you can with the TC lockup, i'll be picking one up! these things light up the gear selection?

This FTW. This suddenly moved to the top of my "must have" list. party1:

I.... MUST...... BUY......THIS!! should i give you a call tomorrow?
Tomorrow evening would be fine, after 5:05pm CST, phone# is on the website.

Are you able to do the same with your shifter
Can't with my current design, I figured since these are going to be bought I'd get in on the action with an upgrade. :D

So much want! I'll buy one to replace the relocated stock mech shifter in my buggy. Saves me the trouble and space of a second shifter for manual control.

Yes cable comes out the back, it's the way Winters designed it, it comes with a cable, new brackets and lever for the transmission.
I know you can wire in the switch kit I already sell. Nope no illuminated gear selection, unless you use LED's to show which solenoid is on. This is how the Switch/LED kit I sell works(I sound too much like a saleman).

To make this "perfect" replace the number three on the side of the shifter where auto is activated with the letter D or at least a 4.

Right now if I get enough interest I'm thinking around $140.00 for the kit with the 3 switches.

Is that just the electronics add-on kit? I can't find a catalog listing for that shifter stand-alone, but similar ones were running around $325.

TC lock is still in need of a seperate switch, since this is only needed for highway that's a pretty simple add-on.

Could that be included in your kit as an add-on?

Back