• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A probably-stupid tire question

LOL

Nimrod, glad you got it figured out. Otherwise, we'd be here all week debating spider gear explosion factors and the finer points of diff lubrication. yall need to go drive around in your rigs for a while

But it's a very realistic scenario! One of the guy's in our club seems to have 2 tire failures on the same outing and hardly ever gets to use a same size tire coming out. To the OP's question, I'm not saying "race" home, but the difference between a 33" and a 35" tire in axle speed is only 43rpm@60mph, not accounting for any planetary action from the side/spider gears! "Been there/done that" many times in my 50yrs of driving with multiple vehicles and 0 issues!
Don't forget the other useful tool, air down on the big tire and air up on the small one!

Last edited:
There was a recall back in the early 90's 4x4 Cherokee's were being built and sold with the mini spare. Guess what it burned up a few diffs and transfer cases. We had to put the correct size tire and wheel in back and inspect and repair as necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a recall back in the early 90's 4x4 Cherokee's were being built and sold with the mini spare. Guess what it burned up a few diffs and transfer cases. We had to put the correct size tire and wheel in back and inspect and repair as necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always enjoy a lively discussion. Tire size, tire difference, differentials ability to spontaneously combust,.... http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1032317&highlight=spare+tire

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19588

My 1994 and 1996 XJ's both came from the factory with mini also known as donut spear tires. Also, I have driven Grand Cherokees with mini spear tire.

What was the first Grand Cherokee was sold to the public?

:eyes:

Back