• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle Options

But Cal's point still stands, even on a stock XJ you still don't need a spring compressor to get the coils out. You can just undo the shocks and maybe the trackbar and the stock springs will fall out. But if you're removing the whole axle you're going to be unbolting all of that anyways.

But Cal's point still stands, even on a stock XJ you still don't need a spring compressor to get the coils out. You can just undo the shocks and maybe the trackbar and the stock springs will fall out. But if you're removing the whole axle you're going to be unbolting all of that anyways.

Again, nobody ever said that spring compressors are a requirement for the job. I think we've pretty much covered it at this point.

Let me summarize this for you.

This conversation started when dan1977p said this:

nope. Pull the wheels off, disconnect the shocks, unbolt the hold down tab on the coil, let the axle drop and the coils will come right out.

That is not true about a stock XJ, which is specifically what we were discussing. If all you disconnect are the shocks and spring tab, YOU WILL NEED A COMPRESSOR. The springs will not just fall out in that case.

We all agreed in subsequent posts that it would work without spring compressors if the track bar and swaybar were also disco'd.

...and here we are, repeating ourselves over and over again because people are taking things out of context.

Last edited:
I have as well. 4 different late models. The coils didn't drop right out after you disconnect the shocks.

I just put new coils in mine 2 months ago. After disconnecting the shocks, spring tab, and having a 200-lb buddy stand on the hub, a spring compressor would still be required to get the coil past the bumpstop and spring perch. Or, at least a pry bar. They certainly will not "drop right out" without disconnecting more than the shocks.

...but I've already mentioned that. Maybe the ones you worked on had worn out bushings?

There's a video above that shows the procedure. Watch that video and tell me at what point after he disconnects the shocks that the coils "drop right out".

EDIT: Here you go:
https://youtu.be/zKxw5ZMAlts

He has the shocks and swaybar disconnected at 1:32.

Seriously. If I'm wrong here, please show me the evidence that they "drop right out" after unbolting just the shocks and spring tabs. I can only go by my experiences, and they have shown otherwise.

Last edited:
I have as well. 4 different late models. The coils didn't drop right out after you disconnect the shocks.

I just put new coils in mine 2 months ago. After disconnecting the shocks, spring tab, and having a 200-lb buddy stand on the hub, a spring compressor would still be required to get the coil past the bumpstop and spring perch. Or, at least a pry bar. They certainly will not "drop right out" without disconnecting more than the shocks.

...but I've already mentioned that. Maybe the ones you worked on had worn out bushings?

There's a video above that shows the procedure. Watch that video and tell me at what point after he disconnects the shocks that the coils "drop right out".

Seriously. If I'm wrong here, please show me the evidence that they "drop right out" after unbolting just the shocks and spring tabs. I can only go by my experiences, and they have shown otherwise.

For the love of god, will you stop referencing his videos. He's a nice guy and means well, but he goes about things in the most difficult ways possible some times and has no regard to safety.
I know I pulled my coils out without removing anything else mentioned, except I forgot swaybar, because I kept my stock steering for over a year before I broke down and replaced the tie rod and drag link.

Why is this still being debated?

If you pay attention to the video he doesn't take the track bar bolt out or remove the shock bolts from the other side of the jeep. Nothing is coming out easy if you only remove half the stuff.

There is nothing wrong with using spring compressors and there are many ways to get the job done. What works for one doesn't necessarily mean its going to work for another.

Last edited:
That's a great question. I thought the discussion had run its course several pages ago, then cal brought it up again. Now we're just repeating ourselves.

I fully agree with you. The only reason I referenced that video was because it was the only example I could find. It's not s good example but I didn't think it would offend anyone. I didn't bother to take video of the coil swaps I've done.

As I said before, there are many ways to skin the cat...

Last edited:
D30 early with Vac Disconnect shaft. Smaller u joints, and has a sliding collar is shaft. Not ideal, but with a manual posi lock cable you can have 2lo

D30hp with larger u joints. Best bolt in axle IMO. Axle is always live.

Waggy D44. Requires fab work but similar width.

Ford D60. Requires fab work and is Full width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back