• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thatxjguy's 1999 Jeep Cherokee Build 'Hole in the Pocket'

I can't be leave you have bought all those lights and have not bought rock rails yet or cut your fenders. Those tires are going to smash your fenders when you hit the rocks.

I can't be leave you have bought all those lights and have not bought rock rails yet or cut your fenders. Those tires are going to smash your fenders when you hit the rocks.

Yeah, they already have. I just bend them back.

And here are some night pics:

28kh7ki.jpg

wobok.jpg

Routed it into an aftermarket connection for the factory fog light switch!

r0ecjt.jpg

35d41aw.jpg

And there's my LED light bar switch:

2iqby51.jpg

Looks like a clean factory-installed switch!

It's a slow day today, so I added more switch spots to my factory toggle switch bezel.

A band saw and a soldering iron is all I needed:

eqs187.jpg

2yowpix.jpg

Nice touch making the multi-switch panel.

I have a factory four switch panel in that location but am thinking about cut-n-pasting factory switches into the overhead console if I can ever get to it.

Yeah, when I ordered mine it was one of something like five left in Chrysler's inventory. That was many moons ago... and it has been sitting in its box since then. Doing a big push to update/modernize the interior now so should get installed soon.

Yup its a nice 'Mall Crawler" for sure really clean and Purty.

Knocking SOLVED!

I rolled in a set of new rod bearings today with the engine still in the chassis (super easy with my 6.5-inch lift), and wowwwwwww, cylinder 6 was really worn:

2lapvd1.jpg

Cylinder 3 was also pretty bad, as was cylinder 5, but the others were alright. I replaced all 6 rod bearings just to be safe.

I feel much better without any knocking. The crankshaft looked great, pistons looked great, no wrist pin movement. I'm happy!

Rod Bearings may be the culprit in my '01 XJ... I tried searching on this forum to no avail, but would anyone have a link to the process?

My 'noises' might be piston slap or noisy lifters, but since I've had to replace my 0331 cracked head it could be a host of things.

Rod Bearings may be the culprit in my '01 XJ... I tried searching on this forum to no avail, but would anyone have a link to the process?

My 'noises' might be piston slap or noisy lifters, but since I've had to replace my 0331 cracked head it could be a host of things.

Simply:

1. Drain your oil
2. Allow your vehicle to cool off (preferably over night)
3. Remove your oil pan (may need to unbolt exhaust from header for clearance)
4. Remove your main bearing cap brace
5. Remove rod bearing cap
6. Lightly tap a flathead screwdriver on the non-lock side of the top bearing to roll it around the crankshaft
7. Take your new bearing and grease it up with high-impact grease
8. Stick it on the crankshaft and roll it up to the top
9. Make sure the lock goes into the lock crevice, then make sure both sides of the bearing are flush with the connecting rod
10. Attach another bearing to the rod bearing cap and make sure both sides are flush and that the lock goes into the lock crevice
11. Tighten the rod bearing cap back to the connecting rod @ 33 foot pounds
12. Repeat steps 5-11 for all remaining cylinders
13. Use GUNK to clean up dirt and grime from oil pan and main bearing cap brace
14. Re-tighten main bearing cap brace to main bearing caps @35 foot pounds
15. Remove flex plate cover while there's room and inspect flex plate for cracking or loose bolts
16. Re-attach oil pan to bottom of engine with new gasket

Keep in mind that I'm lifted 6.5 inches and everything was fairly easy for me to pull out of the Jeep right from the chassis. If you're stock height, you may need to raise your Jeep 3-4 inches in the air for you to have enough clearance to remove the oil pain from the chassis, otherwise, you'll need to pull the whole motor.

Very cool! Thanks for the write-up and how-to. I'm not lifted but I have some great ramps that I use to get the ole' XJ off the ground if needed. :)

Is it also possible to replace the Main Bearing while doing this or do you have to remove the Cam, etc... to get at that?

Back