• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disabling the 4.0?

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
Me and some buddy's decided to mess around w/ one of my buddies so we decided to prank her in regards to the newer jeep she just bought, its a 98 classic. We were thinking steeling the wheels and putting it on blocks, but its too cold and that would take too long, and we dont want to give her a heart attack. Then someone suggested drain the fuel out and and show up w/ her gas laughing and recording her face...but we cant seem to snake the hose down far enough...anyone have any ideas? We were thinking disconnect the battery cable but she's too smart and she'd see that...any ways to disable to engine w/out hurting it? TIA

pull the fuel pump relay. It will crank but won't start. Good ghetto security system if you're leaving it parked for a long time somewhere like the airport.

Newer fuel tanks have a screen in them that prevents removing fuel from the filler neck. also the plug for the pump is just at the front of the tank easy to pull if doors are locked.

Pull the fuel pump relay, the start relay, or the distributor rotor - the latter is the least visible, but requires underhood access.

Something you can do from underneath? Pull the SMALL lead off of the starter (the solenoid trigger) and insulate it so it can't ground out on anything. Turning the key should work normally with the exception of the starter turning. You do want to make sure you get the loose end thoroly insulated - having it "spark out" on a chassis ground is nothing nice.

Another idea - find a section of rubber fuel line, and install a clamp. Easy to do, easy to remove, and won't harm anything.

Or, pull the power to the fuel pump - should be back somewhere near the fuel tank.

5-90

By merely pulling the ASD relay, you disable everything in the PCM. I use that trick as my poorman's anti-theft device whenever I park in questionable areas.....

langer1 said:
Pound a potato up her tail pipe.

5-90 said:
Easy to do, easy to remove, and won't harm anything.

Not so keen on the potato trick. PITA to remove if done right (or wrong, depending on your point of view), and can cause damage while being applied. I plead the 5th on how I know this, and agree with 5-90 on just going for minor nuisance-type stuff.

i would also agree with unplugging the fuel pump, its quick and easy espesially if its locked.

Or, instead you could buy her a membership to NAXJA, and then help her pick out a nice lift and some tires and help her install it so she can run over Hondas!

If you have underhood access try switching a couple of the plug wires arround at the distributor cap, it will run but run like crap and it's easily fixable.

Zipties on the driveshaft are far better than any no start prank in my book.
Annoying as heck & you won't want to crawl underneath until you get back home to remove them.

i'd just go for the wheels, revenge is a dish best served cold, but thats just me... but if you want to go the quiet route disconnect the starter, because the look on her face when everything else works except the starter would be priceless

LOL, some good ideas, i thought about the tail pipe one, but wouldnt that harm the engine when the exhaust gases back up? Secondly, i think the easiest things to my knowledge is the clamp on the fuel line, just to make sure though, that wont create too much pressure on the pump and break it? Thanks for the ideas.......p.s the stealing the entire hood is a good idea but i put a new cowl hood on a mustang i once owned, and getting it to line up was a PITA, i dont want to risk that in the cold.

ummm if you disable the fuel delivery to the injectors I think there is a chance that she might damage them while trying to start the engine "dry"

Back