• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Writeup: 4.0 Coolant Filter Install addendum

AZjeepin1

NAXJA Forum User
Now, I know that dieselenthusiast has put one of these together, but I wanted to add to his brilliant idea. After all, it was his writeup that helped me do mine. His original link is here- http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1085546&highlight=coolant+filter+install

What I found lacking in the previous writeup is a SOLID, no BS parts list (complete with part numbers and costs) and pictures of the assembly prior to install. In my trips to the local stores (NAPA and Ace Hardware) this is the list of parts you will need to put together a coolant filter setup from dieselenthusiast:

1. NAPA/Wix coolant filter spin-on conversion kit (P/N 4019) $55.69
- This kit comes complete with the filter base, 3 mounting bolts, 3 washers, 3 lock washers, 3 nuts, 2 3/8'' steel elbows (only one of which will be used) and a tube of loc-tite
2. NAPA Gold coolant filter (P/N 4071) $17.99
3. (1) 3/8'' hex nipple (Lasco P/N 17-8631 112D) $3.29
4. (1) 3/8'' MIP x 3/8'' MIP brass elbow (Lasco P/N 17-8831 116D) $9.79
5. (1) 3/8'' MIP x 5/8'' brass barb air fitting (Lasco P/N 17-7737 119DG) $5.79
6. (2) 3/8'' inline ball shutoff valves $8.99ea
7. Extra heater hose. The length of this will vary from owner to owner, depending on mounting location.
8. (2) Hose clamps $0.20

Total cost (without extra heater hose and tax)- $110.73

You'll note that the parts list numbers correspond to the red numbers in the pictures.

Coolantfilterheadwithfilternumbers.jpg

Coolantfilterfittingsnumbers2.jpg

Coolantfilterbasedownnumbers.jpg

Coolantfilterheaduprightnumbers.jpg

I hope this helps clear up any gaps in his writeup! Mods, feel free to merge this with the original if need-be.

That price is pretty stellar. Not sure how it'd fit where dieselenthusiast and myself have ours mounted though. The space in there is kind of limited.

Obviously the ball valves are to turn the assembly on and off when Changing the filter?

Cool. Doin this mod for sure!

Hose pinch clamps could be a good option so valves aren't required. I use them when changing tstats, or other cooling system related servicing. Thanks for the parts list,

pinchoffpliers_10098345.jpg

Last edited:
Damn-another parts store trip is in order. Sweet write ups by both.

Can we get some under hood pics of the routing of the (I'm assuming) heater core lines?
Please!

How much does this actually filter if it only runs through the heater core line?

And has anyone considered one of these filters?
http://www.tefba.com/index.html
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/collections/skinned-knuckles/cooling-system-filtration/index.shtml

I've been trying to order one for some time, but can never find them or get good contact. Maybe they need a East Coast vendor.....

Coolant filters are by-pass filters that are designed for secondary lines such as the heater core line, eventually all coolant gets filtered. The spin-on filters (especially the Donaldson or Baldwin) are much more efficient than the screen type that you linked up.

I bought and installed my wix coolant filter on my new rig. Unfortunately I dropped the filter and now the media inside rattles around :/

Back