• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf spring bolt size PLEASE

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm pretty friggin impressed!! I'm glad somebody knows what all that means - I've been schooled

One of these days, I need to write that fastener primer I've been thinking of. I know BillAVista did one over at Pirate, but I think some things could have been explained a bit better, and he could have gone more into the "Hows and Whys" of it all as well (nothin' personal Bill - you've done damned good work as it is!)

All I can say for now is to keep an eye on my Tech section - I can't schedule the updates (since my wife has been getting parts replaced of late, that's taken a good deal of my time...) but they're in the pipe!

OK - update: finally got the bolt cut and extracted (with the nut) from inside the mounting bracket pocket. A little fighting with the spring to get the new bolt in, taped the new nut to a 21mm wrench and slipped it into the pocket, tightened everything down.

Thanks to everyone who contributed info on this thread. Just FYI, this is the part list that I used:

M14-2.0x110mm class 10.9 flange head nipple tip bolt. I purchased this through teamcherokee.com, set of 2 bolts for $11 with shipping. They are listed on their site as LCA bolts. I should mention that stock leaf spring mounting bolts are 120mm long but the 110mm has more than enough thread (good 3/4" of bolt threaded through the nut)

6102251-AA hex nut F 17015030 from my local Chrysler dealership - $5.89 for a friggin nut!!

This thread has the most info so I'm adding this pic here. Top is an LCA bolt, bottom is a leaf bolt from a 91. They look quite different but they are only 1cm different in length (the nipple on the end of the leaf bolt adds to the illusion).

LCA_vs_Leaf_Bolts.sized.jpg

Also notice the deeper shoulder on the LCA bolt.

I don't think this will help much, but my stock bolt is a hex flange head with "ABC 9.8" stamped in it. Threads start 2 5/8" from the flange (and extend into the area that sheared off) Remainder of bolt is still in the bracket and captive nut so I can't see it at the moment.

"ABC" is a manufacturer's mark, "9.8" is the ISO Property Class of the bolt. Ergo, it's metric - which means that the use of ISO hardware does go back to 1987 - maybe even 1984. It would make sense - since the early 1980's were the transitional time for US automakers to start using ISO hardware in the body assembly anyhow (engines took a while longer - they probably didn't want to change the tooling overmuch...)

Now I'm too curious... ehall posted a pic of LCA and spring bolts from his 91 XJ. But I know for a fact that the LCA bolts from my 91 MJ look just like every other LCA and spring bolt I've ever seen. Time to investigate further.

(if a part number is new for that year, I've bolded it, so you can follow the changes more easily)

84-86:
LCA bolt - 3420 1334
LCA nut - 1150 2814
spring bolt - 3420 1392
spring nut - 1150 2814

87-90:
LCA bolt - 3420 1392 note: now the same as the spring bolts from previous split
LCA nut - 1150 2814
spring bolt - 3420 2118 note: entirely new part
spring nut - 1150 2814

91-96:
LCA bolt - 3420 2118 note: now the same as the spring bolts from previous split
LCA nut - 1150 2814
spring bolt - 3420 2118
spring nut - 1150 2814

97-99:
LCA bolt - 3420 1334 wtf?! back to the 84-86 part number!
LCA nut - 1150 2814
spring bolt - 3420 2118
spring nut - 1150 2814

00:
LCA bolt - 3420 1334
LCA nut - 0650 3672
spring bolt - 3420 2118
spring nut - 1150 2814

01:
LCA bolt - 3420 1334
LCA nut - 0650 3672
spring bolt - 3420 2118
spring nut - 0650 3672 note: same nuts as used on LCA bolts previous split

As usual when dealing with Chrysler I'm left saying "uh... but... um... WHY?!" It appears they simply changed random bolts back and forth from different lengths to other lengths over the entire production run. Some of these parts, like the nuts, are exactly the same, others, like the bolts (1334 vs 2118) differ in length by 10mm. I have no idea why ehall ended up with 110mm LCA bolts and 120mm leaf bolts, the 110mm bolts supposedly hadn't been used since '86 and weren't going to be used again till '97. And my '98 has 120mm bolts in all locations, while the listings show 110mm LCA bolts... I can only conclude that the factory was on crack (likely) and/or the Chrysler official OEM book of lies is nearly as bad as the Haynes book of lies (also likely.)

I know this is an old thread but was relevant to me as i just snapped one putting on my lift kit, for ease of ordering this bolt is part number 34202118 and you should be able to order it from any chrysler dealer. i paid @7 bucks and got 4 because i really did not want to reuse the other rusted factory bolts.

I found an OEM replacement on teamcherokee.com - as kastein mentioned, the same bolt as the LCA mounting bolt. The bolts look identical - sold in pairs $7 and $4 ship/handle. Pricey for 2 bolts but it will cost me more in gas to get to my nearest junkyard to wrestle a rusted to hell bolt out. I'll let you know how it works when they come in.

I love NAXJA. Seven years later and you just saved me $35 and lead me to teamcherokee.com, which is a great resource. Thanks!

Be cautious about Team Cherokee.

Experiences with them in the recent past have not been encouraging.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1120631&highlight=team+cherokee

No first hand experience myself, but I have seen enough to make me wary. You can do a search for more reviews of them and see if the picture has been improving of late. Or not.

Agreed. A few years ago I told one of my friends they were alright to buy from and they proceeded to sell him poorly fitting, poorly manufactured rugged ridge junk as "new old stock" (that's how it was listed on their site.) The rubber dry rotted and cracked within a year and they told him to take a hike when he called to complain.

I recommend buying from literally anyone other than TC/TGW as a result.

factory leaf bolts are M14 x 2.0 pitch x 120mm long, class 10.9, flange head, nipple tip

Will M14 x 2.0 x 130 be ok (+0.4" L)? I don't expect that will cause a bottom out in the spring pockets front and rear?
I've searched for greaseable bolts and these are the closest I found.

Last edited:
Back