• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

No time to search right now, but Cruiser54 is an expert on those harnesses. There are 2-3 great threads on the NAXJA OEM forum with links to the harnesses we have bought and used and the performance .....

Just search "Headlight Harness" in the OEM forum

Cool I'll research. I've decided I'm buying a 2nd gen Tacoma TRD Sport that is setup pretty nice. So the Jeep will not be an issue driving at night. Probably let it go since I don't off road much anymore. I'm doing a lot more Rallies and Expo stuff. Wife said the Jeep is too old to put more money into.

LOL, that is what I told my now ex wife, LMAO. But I kept the jeep. :laugh: Take care my friend that the wife does not decide you are too old too, you were born before 1997 right? LMOA:roflmao:

So the Jeep will not be an issue driving at night. . Wife said the Jeep is too old to put more money into.

And here I am renovating another 87 and yours is a 97, :eyes:

I just fired up the 85 Diesel XJ.

Can't get much more cost effective than this. Reports have been as good as doubling the light. THis fits your 1997

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-H4-Hea...431957&hash=item1ed10ac218:g:Z90AAOxy69JTBukR

Hong Kong sources are 2-3 weeks faster delivery (days), but about $6 more.
THis one fits the 1997 2.5L, says it does not fit the 4.0? But there are many more like these on ebay. I bought a pair for 87 4 head light Wagoneer, they are excelllent quality, and IIRC Fused, where as the $49 Puttco is not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-H4...762401&hash=item3398bf493f:g:CYMAAOSwAF5UZuwE

Cool I'll research. I've decided I'm buying a 2nd gen Tacoma TRD Sport that is setup pretty nice. So the Jeep will not be an issue driving at night. Probably let it go since I don't off road much anymore. I'm doing a lot more Rallies and Expo stuff. Wife said the Jeep is too old to put more money into.

I have 2 of those. The replacement relays are expensive and they did use sealed weather tight connections, so mounting must be done to make sure water can not get into the relays. I wiped out 3 of them in weeks of my first installs.

They have gone up about $15 higher than when I bought them. There is new, better quality, with fused wires version out now for under $20 on Ebay. I bought 2 of them to do my Wagoneer-XJ, but have not installed them yet. Bought them middle of last year. Round-to-it project.

Hit 292,xxx miles on my 87 Renix Wagoneer. About to get a fresh paint job on it, have a roof rust issue that started :tears:

Helped a new guy from Washington...swap an O2 sensor on his 97 XJ today. Tried out my new impact wrench on the stuck leaf spring bolts on my not so soon to be spare beast, my hands gave out, not the bolts, but that was after 15 minutes of beating on then with 600 ft lbs torque. Tomorrow is a new day, LOL

The guy I helped today had two other problems he did not know about, The rear O2 sensor wiring-harness to the sensor wiring was ripped to shreds by the drive shaft. But the original codes only said the front sensor was bad. Also he has zero tail pipe after the loose muffler. New guy, new job, trying to back on his feet. Meet at Kroger LOL. Also his tali gate does not lock, holding it shut with a bungee cord :confused1 , needs a new lock mechanism and maybe a tail gate. Its Red.

Discovered I can swing a sledge hammer again. Shocking :sunshine: I beat a bumper back into shape yesterday on a Tahoo so that rear door can open again.

Did a re-repair on the cut CV joint BOOT on my Saturn today. It started leaking, but was not making any noise yet. I took plastic soda straw and duct taped it into the plastic CV joint grease packet I bought for re-greasing it, and stuck the packet in boiling water to make the grease fluid enough to flow through the straw so I could squeeze it into the small hole in the boot. Second time I did this, and it works great, no need to remove the clamp and boot. Then I resealed the slice with a special scuba diving rubber sealant cement used on scuba diving gear. I used a lot heavier thicker patch this time. Its basically liquid rubber, in bottle with a brush. Fast drying. Sort of like the liquid electrical tape but far superior.

I hope I can get another 10-20,000 miles before it leaks again.

Went out camping at crystal beach Saturday

Got home yesterday, unloaded the jeep, went to put it away and I have no headlights

Hopefully just a fuse or a relay

We camped at Oxford Ranch / Campground in Llano fun time bit cool Saturday night.
Had fun though :) Believe it or not... no Jeeps in our group ;)

I camped out in my bed room with the heat on, LOL. Stayed nice and warm. Not liking this cold weather.

Head lights is almost always a bad head light switch. Unless you have the aftermarket harness, then it is usually the relay that got wet and fried.

Fought off the third soar throat, near ear ache in 2 weeks last night. Damn sinuses. My 2 daily drivers are mostly behaving. I patched my Saturn CV joint boot again. Last patch held up for months (6-12?). I put about 5 times more patch rubber on it this time. So far so good. I found a special scuba suit liquid patch in a bottle that dries fast, thick, and sticks and works great.

Yeah I’ve got an aftermarket harness, and everything else still came on no problem

Found out the headlight issue

When I had my ac fixed the guy didn’t reconnect all my accessory wires. Hooked up, working again.

Don't you love having to find and fix what was not broke before, but is after you get it back from another shop, mechanic or wherever?

That is why I no longer let any one work on my junk.

Found out the headlight issue

When I had my ac fixed the guy didn’t reconnect all my accessory wires. Hooked up, working again.

I started the Maguire's 3 step wax on the Jeep. Parking it outside now so needs the protection even if just my trail rig ;)

2.5 hours, yesterday, 3 man team, including me, took on the two leaf spring bolts from hell on my white jeep and their bushing companions for the 4th time. I told the Bolts that Resistance was futile as we pulled out a massive electric Industrial impact wrench and torch, grinder and PB blaster and tried to the jeep on fire LOL. Then in a last desperate effort we used the F=MA and out Jedi skills.

Down to just the inner steel sleeve of the front rubber bushing and its bolt, the rest is scrap meta;(not the jeep, the spring, bushings and rear bolt).

The front bolt did not break, so I thing once I grab my chisel from the shop, and split the inner sleeve open, and PB blast it for a few days, then torch the bolt head, it should come loose on the threads like the rear bolt/nut did. Been a great weekend so far!!!

I started the Maguire's 3 step wax on the Jeep. Parking it outside now so needs the protection even if just my trail rig ;)

I camped out in my bed room with the heat on, LOL. Stayed nice and warm. Not liking this cold weather.

Head lights is almost always a bad head light switch. Unless you have the aftermarket harness, then it is usually the relay that got wet and fried.

Fought off the third soar throat, near ear ache in 2 weeks last night. Damn sinuses. My 2 daily drivers are mostly behaving. I patched my Saturn CV joint boot again. Last patch held up for months (6-12?). I put about 5 times more patch rubber on it this time. So far so good. I found a special scuba suit liquid patch in a bottle that dries fast, thick, and sticks and works great.

Got a link for this stuff? Could be good for my WJ CV boots.

Got a link for this stuff? Could be good for my WJ CV boots.

This is the one I bought and used:

https://www.amazon.com/Essentials-N...-2&keywords=mcnett+neoprene+cement&th=1&psc=1

It dries very fast (Toluene solvent). I had to add perchlorethylene brake cleaner solvent from my Aerosol can to it, to thin it out the third time I used it (opened it) on something, and it worked great still. Carburetor cleaner (Toluene, acetone...) should work very well too. IN fact both are great for pre-cleaning the contact areas you are going to apply it to!!

Back