• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

completly stumped

MJ1990buildup

NAXJA Forum User
i have good gas in it, fuel filter, fuel pressure is great, new ignition coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, cps, rechecked compression is way up around 130ish, cleaned throttle body

still backfiring!, noticed a little more power now, but no where near where it should be

i am completely stumped and thinking about going to get it scanned

not sure about the tps, o2 but they are fairly new they might of just got wet and wouldnt think of them to cause backfiring anyways

still have a slight exhaust leak from where i welded my cat on but i am almost positive that is not the problem

the only new gauge i havent bought yet is the vacuum tester but i wouldnt know where to begin, what the hell can be the problem?????

Improperly indexed distributor.

Got me when I did my stroker.

Search for Dr Dyno on here, as he's got a link on his site that'll show you how to properly time the motor.

hey man Just a heads up... only one thread at a time man. this thing is in two places... that's annoying.

hey can anyone give me some advice for setting my timing, i think mine may have jumped a tooth, i've never pulled a distributor before and really dont feel like breaking anything in the process
i wont have a timing light till saturday afternoon, but i've heard you can pull the valve conver, get the no 1 cyl at TDC and then make sure the rotor is 3cm away from where the no1 contact on the cap should be

does this sound about right to anyone?

MJ1990buildup said:
hey can anyone give me some advice for setting my timing, i think mine may have jumped a tooth, i've never pulled a distributor before and really dont feel like breaking anything in the process
i wont have a timing light till saturday afternoon, but i've heard you can pull the valve conver, get the no 1 cyl at TDC and then make sure the rotor is 3cm away from where the no1 contact on the cap should be

does this sound about right to anyone?

There is a little guage on the timing cover, as well as a little notch on the crankshaft pulley, that needs to be lined up all the way to the right of the guage. Drop your distributor in and make sure that the rotor is about 3cm clockwise away from the little rubber plug that goes into the CPS.

Set all wires according to firing order as shown on the manifold. If nothing happens the first time, then you're 180* out.

Turn the motor exactly one revolution aligned w/ the notch on the pulley, and drop distributor in 3cm away from the CPS rubber plug again. If there is a little slop in your timing, the computer should auto adjust itself.

This is MUCH easier than setting it to TDC and having to pull the valve cover...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
BajaXJ92 said:
There is a little guage on the top right of your harmonic balancer, as well as a little notch on the actual balancer, that needs to be lined up all the way to the right of the guage. Drop your distributor in and make sure that the rotor is about 3cm clockwise away from the little rubber plug that goes into the CPS.

Set all wires according to firing order as shown on the manifold. If nothing happens the first time, then you're 180* out.

Turn the motor exactly one revolution aligned w/ the notch on the harmonic balancer, and drop distributor in 3cm away from the CPS rubber plug again. If there is a little slop in your timing, the computer should auto adjust itself.

This is MUCH easier than setting it to TDC and having to pull the valve cover...:rolleyes:

thanks, that is some great info, i will try this when i get home, however i do have a couple of questions, are you talking about turning the crank over until it lines up at 0?
2nd, i'm not looking at my engine right now, i'm confused when you said the rubber plug at the cps, my cps is on the opposite side of the engine, in the bellhousing, are you talkin about the plug in the top of the distributor with the 3 wires coming out of it??
sorry for me not knowing more about this, being it's my first time ever having the pleasure of toying with it

MJ1990buildup said:
thanks, that is some great info, i will try this when i get home, however i do have a couple of questions, are you talking about turning the crank over until it lines up at 0?
2nd, i'm not looking at my engine right now, i'm confused when you said the rubber plug at the cps, my cps is on the opposite side of the engine, in the bellhousing, are you talkin about the plug in the top of the distributor with the 3 wires coming out of it??
sorry for me not knowing more about this, being it's my first time ever having the pleasure of toying with it

The CPS in your bellhousing is the crankshaft position sensor, then one in the middle of your distributor is the Camshaft position sensor...

Correct, there is a little notch on the crankshaft pulley that needs to be lined up to 0 on your timing cover. That should set you to TDC, but like I said, if it doesn't work the first time, then you have the distributor set 180 out, and on the exhaust stroke. Turn the motor 1 revolution over aligned w/ the 0, drop your distributor in, and it should fire right up.

thanks a ton!

i will try this as soon as i get home

its either this, or i've heard a combination of bad 02 and tps could cause backfiring, they're fairly new but not sure if the water messed them up or not
i'll recheck them again with the voltmeter
is it possible for a distributor to just jump 1 tooth ahead/behind?

i will post the results............

Back