• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seeking Info on Dynatrac Pro-Rock 44 Axles

Non-StopXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just a quick thank you for all on this forum. Even though this is my first post...I have come to the NAXJA Forum to answer questions/get ideas for over 2 years.

It's time to upgrade the stock axles (D35 rear/D30front) on my 1998 Cherokee Classic (4.0L / AW4 / 242J ) and I don't want to waste money/time building up the weak stock axles. I would really like to put D44's on both front and rear.

I'm considering just taking the easy way out, but shelling out more $$ to slap some ready to bolt-on Dynatrac Pro-Rock 44 Front/Rear axles that come with everything I need.

http://www.dynatrac.com/products_jeep.html

I guess I'm just really looking for an opinion from someone who has dealt with Dynatrac assemblies for their XJ before I pull the trigger on something this major. Is there a cheaper option for both D44's front & rear off a Junkyard TJ/YJ that wouldn't require mount modifications to fit?

My 98XJ has a 3' BDS Lift, 31' BFG AT KO's, Hanson Off-Road Front/Rear Bumpers, TNT Customs Belly Pan, Tom Woods SYE & Custom CV Front/Rear Drive shafts.

Last edited:
The Dynatrac 44 front axle looks like a Low Pinion assembly. If so, it would not be much of an improvement over your current axle(HP30).(all of the D60's they show on their web page specifically state Hi-Pinion, but the D44 says nothing about it)

For the rear, a Chrysler 8.25 from a 96 or newer will have 29 splines and handle 33" tires easily. You can pick them up for $150-200 at a JY.

Regear them for less than $1000 total and you just saved $3-4 grand. Add lockers and you still are saving 2-3 grand.

If you plan on 35's or bigger in the future, 2 Dana 44's may not be enough to keep you feeling warm and fuzzy for long.

Front Pro Rock 44's are high pinion and use JK ring and pinions. A significant upgrade over an old school 44. The housings offer better clearance and are much more stout than any stock axle and you finally get to move past the old x760 ujoint.
The rears are 33 spline I believe.

If you are handy you might consider just buying the housing and working from there. Could probably save some money if you are resourcefull.
They would be a sweet setup. With chromolly shafts and ujoints they would probably be good to 37-38" tires.

If you want to save a little coin, you could put the Pro-Rock 44 in the front and a Ford Explorer 8.8 in the rear (31 spline, cro-moly shafts available from Superior - Super 88 kit). This is good 3/4 ton combo.

Thanks for responses all.

Ok but does anyone know what size tires he plans on running? 33 and under there's no reason to spend that kinda money on those axles

I plan to stick around 32 now and then go for 35's down the road after I pull the trigger and make my XJ a full-time trail rig. Right now it's doing double time as my daily driver/weekend wheeler.

If you want to save a little coin, you could put the Pro-Rock 44 in the front and a Ford Explorer 8.8 in the rear (31 spline, cro-moly shafts available from Superior - Super 88 kit). This is good 3/4 ton combo.
X2 on this. This would be a great setup for 35's, the 8.8 is a great axle, stronger than a stock 44 any day and you could save some cash for other things.

if your "eventual" plans are to turn it into a trail rig... are you ABSOLUTELY sure 35's are the max tire size?

if so, I can see the Pro-Rock D44 front, and then build a Ford 8.8 as a cheaper but as strong alternative to Pro-Rock rear.

if 35's are a stepping stone to something bigger, then I would think you could end up spending the money on D60's years down the road.

something to think about... otherwise the Pro-Rock front 44 is a nice axle, very stout for a D44 (as stated about bigger components then stock D44)... but for a rear I think you could spend the money in better places, or just spend less for equal strength.

Does anyone have any idea what their front 44 goes for?
A kidney? I don't know but they're expensive...

Some XJs came with D44s. Find one and it'll swap in with no mods. Your D30 can be built to withstand 35s. Or you can find an HP44 from an older Ford truck and build it. You can take it to a shop to have them do the mounts if needed. A TJ Rubicon 44 will bolt in, but it's low pinion and runs D30 outers.

A Ford HP44 will be stronger than the 30 and can be built to be way stronger, plus the bigger brakes and manual hubs. It will cost more than building the 30, but will be considerably stronger.

He's not asking about a ford 44 or xj 44 he's asking about the dynatrac 44 which is far superior to any factory 44 ever made, thus the extra cost. Yes it cost more but that's because it's a stronger axle with better parts throughout. I'd buy one if I had the cash and by even asking I assume he does, I can't understand why people would want to try and talk him into getting a weaker axle even if it is cheaper, a stock 44 isn't really much of an upgrade when you look at the parts offered, that said you'd need to spend a good bit of cash upgrading it anyway to get it anywhere near as strong as the dynatrac.

I say find a junkyard 8.25 axle. Spend the big money when you actually get the big lift and tires. Your stock d30 and the common late model 8.25 can handle 35's when not abused.

That said, sure you will be happy with the prorock's.

Back