• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ brake upgrade for a 2001 XJ... Simplified?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

I've been doing some reading on upgrading my 2001 XJ's front brakes to the WJ calipers and rotors and found quite a few resources, a couple of which I'll share below:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2444&highlight=xj+grand+cherokee+brake+knuckles+rotors
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/brakes/xj_wjbrakes03/

Now, I've been mulling this over and the following seems to be true:

1. In early (pre-97) models, a brake booster upgrade is pretty much required. Everything I've seen has indicated the WJ dual-diaphragm booster is recommended, however, I already have a dual-diaphragm booster in my 01. I assume I can skip this?
  2. The article linked above (on 4x4wire) seems to go through a lot of seemingly unnecessary work modifying TJ hubs and bearings to work on the WJ knuckles. Interestingly enough, I found spacers from JKS to allow one to use the stock XJ bearings/hubs:

http://www.jeeperz-creeperz.com/flange-spacer-p-4489.html

Will these spacers allow me to avoid dicking with aftermarket/non-XJ hubs?
  3. I assume that no matter what, I'll need to buy a set of WJ rotors and have them re-drilled for the 5 x 4.5" pattern of the XJ. Is this correct?
I'm hoping to simplify this conversion as much as possible and write a comprehensive guide regarding how to perform it on 97+ XJs. If my theories and what I've read are correct, I'm guessing the following will ultimately be required:

1. Buy WJ steering knuckles, calipers, rotors, and ball joints (and maybe tie rod/tracking bar?), as well as the aforementioned JKS spacers.
  2. Install the ball joints on my bare XJ front axle.
  3. Install the JKS spacers into my stock hub/bearing assemblies.
  4. Re-drill rotors to fit XJ hub bolt pattern.
  5. Assemble everything as needed.
  6. Upgrade to 16"+ wheels?
I'd love any clarification anyone can offer me. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
  1. In early (pre-97) models, a brake booster upgrade is pretty much required. Everything I've seen has indicated the WJ dual-diaphragm booster is recommended, however, I already have a dual-diaphragm booster in my 01. I assume I can skip this?

1995 and newer have the Dual Diaphragm Brake booster...
just a heads up..

Another heads-up, the WJ booster is not angled up, like the '01 XJ booster, when bolted to the firewall.
Since you have a dual-diaphragm booster already, you don't need to change.
Also, if you need to change-out your MC for a bigger bore (ONLY because you increased caliper piston bore sizes), the '01 Cherokee allows for more MC choices than the WJ booster.

Awesome, this is some great info, thanks guys!

xjbubba - With regard to the master cylinder, is it feasible that I can get away with the stock one or would it be wise to consider a WJ model at that time? Additionally, will the proportioning valve need to be replaced/modified in either case?

I am sitting on both a set of akebono and set of teeves knuckles along with the wj steering gear to do the swap. If your serious I will sell you the teeves knuckels.

John

I am sitting on both a set of akebono and set of teeves knuckles along with the wj steering gear to do the swap. If your serious I will sell you the teeves knuckels.

John
Just the knuckles, or calipers and all? Additionally, aren't the Akebono components "preferable" over the Teeves parts (i.e. 03+)?

John

There isn't any difference between the knuckles themselves. When we did the 'swap' on our WJ we just picked up the Akebono calipers and bolted them on, which is actually the TSB for rotor warpage from Chrysler. Same rotors, even, between the Teeves and Akebono. ;) And for the guy above me here, the Akebono are preferred over the Teeves. I wish I had taken photos, but the Akebonos are gigantic compared to the Teeves, with quite a bit more surface area on the pads.

Is it possible to use 5x4.5 Ford Explorer disks in conjunction with the WJ rotors/knuckles? I'm guessing that the offset is all wrong...

1. Buy WJ steering knuckles, calipers, rotors, and ball joints (and maybe tie rod/tracking bar?), as well as the aforementioned JKS spacers.
  2. Install the ball joints on my bare XJ front axle.
  3. Install the JKS spacers into my stock hub/bearing assemblies.
  4. Re-drill rotors to fit XJ hub bolt pattern.
  5. Assemble everything as needed.
  6. Upgrade to 16"+ wheels?
I'd love any clarification anyone can offer me. Thanks in advance!

-Lower WJ balljoints, XJ uppers.
-1/4" JKS spacers get welded to the WJ knuckles, not to the hub assembly
-Use 2002 Ford Explorer Sport track rotors, they are already 5x4.5. I made the offset work. If you do this, you'll need to shave a bit off the outer diameter of the hub flanges to get them to fit inside the rotors. You might need to space out the calipers a bit to get them to line up with the rotors. Some people say don't use spacers (washers) others, including myslef, are using them with no issue.
-I did not need to upgrade to 16" wheels. You should be able to shave a bit off the calipers if need be. Mine cleared fine though. (cragar 15" wheels with 3.75" backspacing).

Go with Akenobo calipers.

I did things a bit differently, but in hindsight, the easiest way for the other parts would be to get the JKS stuff. Get the WJ tie rod ends. Get the JKS tie rod that works with them. As for the track bar, use the JKS axle side relocation bracket they sell. The upper mount and the track bar itslef is kind of up to you.

I don't want to spread false info so when I get back to DC I will double check and post pics of the knuckles to verifyor disprove the claim of seperate castings.

John

Instead of spacing out the caliper bracket or using the Sport Trac rotors, you can use pre-90 unit bearings and still be able to use the stock WJ rotors and caliper brackets.

IF you use the current wheel bearing from you '01, you'll have to do the caliper bracket spacer or the Sport Trac rotors.

Knuckles are the same, the caliper brackets are different. Check www.rockauto.com and look at the pics between the two.

Indeedy.

From wjjeeps.com:

1. Original (from 1999 model production through May 10, 2002 (Teves, black color with open-sided bracket)

P/N 5011973AA Left front caliper MSRP: $141.00
P/N 5011972AA Right front caliper MSRP: $141.00
P/N 5018592AA Pad kit, front MSRP: $177.00
P/N 52098672 Rotor, front MSRP: $ 65.10 (each)

2. New (from May 11, 2002 production onward: (Akebono, silver color "fully closed" style)

P/N 5093181AA Left front caliper (all-new) MSRP: $140.00
P/N 5093180AA Right front caliper (all-new) MSRP: $140.00
P/N 5093183AA Pad kit, front (revised) MSRP: $ 177.00
P/N 52098672 Rotor, front (unchanged) MSRP: $ 65.10 (each)

3. New kit package (fits all 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees)

P/N 05093174AA Front caliper & pad kit package - (Includes left P/N 5093181AA and right P/N 5093180AA Akebono "fully closed" style calipers, revised P/N 5093183AA brake pads, P/N 5012437AA attachment bolts, and P/N 6035832 banjo sealing washers). MSRP $309.00

Here's a (crappy) pic of the two caliper brackets next to each other. Akebono on the left.

Comparisonofbrackets2.jpg

I believe the '01 XJ and WJ have the same bore size MC's. That would imply the caliper pistons are similar, if not equal in volume.
Not sure about the proportioning valve. If both apps are 4-wheel disc, then either will work.
The MC's are not the same bolt pattern. If you did need a larger bore size, the Dodge Durango MC will fit the XJ booster, and offers a 1.125 bore, versus your current 1.000 bore; the Durango MC won't fit the WJ booster, however.

Instead of spacing out the caliper bracket or using the Sport Trac rotors, you can use pre-90 unit bearings and still be able to use the stock WJ rotors and caliper brackets.

IF you use the current wheel bearing from you '01, you'll have to do the caliper bracket spacer or the Sport Trac rotors.

CanMan,

What are your thoughts on using pre-90 unit bearings with Sport Trac Rotors? Do you think a caliper spacer would be required? I know that you are running drilled WJ rotors. Do you have any idea how the rotors compare in terms of positioning on the hub?

CanMan,

What are your thoughts on using pre-90 unit bearings with Sport Trac Rotors? Do you think a caliper spacer would be required? I know that you are running drilled WJ rotors. Do you have any idea how the rotors compare in terms of positioning on the hub?

You use the sport trac rotors with the newer style unit bearings to keep from spacing out the caliper bracket.

I used the pre-90 ones because I didnt want to space them out, and already redrilled the WJ rotors which were new.

So its 6 of one, half dozen of the other really.

You use the sport trac rotors with the newer style unit bearings to keep from spacing out the caliper bracket.

I used the pre-90 ones because I didnt want to space them out, and already redrilled the WJ rotors which were new.

So its 6 of one, half dozen of the other really.

Just to be clear, you are saying that you don't need to space out the caliper bracket if you use the Sport Trac rotors? I thought that I read otherwise...

Back