• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally solved no heat issue

Dave Meyers

NAXJA Forum User
Heater core was plugged up. Prior to radiator swap, I used stop leak as an emergency fix to get me across country, long after the road trip, when the stop leak finally failed, I swapped the radiator but then had no heat. Flushing the heater core with the hose had not previously helped. Today I reversed the heater core hoses to reverse the flow and instantly regained my heat. Then refilled system with anti-freeze, put hoses back, and all is good.

Interesting--a new method of back-flushing the heater core!

Had you tried a number of times to clear the heater core, perhaps with a commercial flush product?

How about a brief recap of the no-heat issue? What you did, along with what has finally worked, could really help others down the road.

Checked the usual suspects, blend door, T Stat, coolant, no luck. Also flushed the heater core with a garden hose, no change. Then one mechanic said he would do the hose swap backflush if I brought it in, but I thought I could do it for free, so I did. Another mechanic, whom I trust a great deal, suggested that I disconnect the heater hoses from the block, blow the coolant out of the heater core and then fill it with The Works Original Toilet Bowl Cleaner, let it sit for several minutes, rinse both directions with the hose and repeat. It may bubble while sitting there. I was going to do this if the first method I tried did not work. I also wondered if my heater core would have unplugged itself after a while, because the stop leak usually fails after some time. But my heat was not improving. It was amazing that the heater core instantly unplugged doing the hose swap. I lost practically no coolant in the process, so a no cost fix. Not typically my luck.

Glad it worked for you.

By providing the details you will likely help someone else down the road.

Thats just horrible. Kind of along the lines of curling

I think that is how you keep the clogs on--curling your toes. :roflmao:

Did you flush from the front thru the heater control valve->heater->valve ? Maybe something stuck in the valve?

Did you flush from the front thru the heater control valve->heater->valve ? Maybe something stuck in the valve?

From his profile he has a 2000, which doesn't have a heater valve.

It could be worse.

before.jpg

You just know the "clog" went somewhere!!

after.jpg

I guess The Works Original Toilet Bowl Cleaner just dissolves it. End of story. Happy ending.

It could be worse.

before.jpg

You just know the "clog" went somewhere!!

after.jpg

I guess The Works Original Toilet Bowl Cleaner just dissolves it. End of story. Happy ending.

You showing your colonoscopy pictures again? :scared:

Back