• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2005 liberty trans service

robsjeepxj

NAXJA Forum User
Are there any benefits of putting say half a quart to a quart of gear oil your automatic transmission after servicing it. Shift better and all that? No bs answers and if u have no idea please don't comment cuz I don't care for your "opinions" just looking for actual knowledge. I know some guys do it in race trucks so I thought I'd put it out there.

Racing vehicles tend to focus on short-term improvements rather than long-term durability

I'm not a chemist, but mixing gear oil and ATF does not sound like a good idea to me. I'd be worried about a chemical incompatibility between the two fluids causing either sludging or starvation (the ATF "floating" on the gear oil and starving something in the valve body might be one possibility).

Are you having a problem with your transmission that you're hoping this might help with, or are we more in "academic curiosity" territory?

Ive put additives to the fluid and seen some small improvement. But this was designed to mix with the fluid.

If you’ve got a KJ with a problem transmission which is not uncommon your probably looking at a rebuild.
The KJ guys will drop the pan, new filter and approved fluid which is already synthetic. ATF+4 I believe, same as our commander.
Doing this might recover the shifting but it’s not too hopeful if I’m honest. By the time trouble shooting starts it’s usually already failing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know some guys do it in race trucks so I thought I'd put it out there.

Got a reference for that? While it might help raise the viscosity in a trans that running hot due to racing, I would think the EP additives in gear oil would cause slipping.

Chrysler made trannies have historically been somewhat picky about their fluids. For example, lots of them were destroyed by shops who didn't know to use the new ATF 4+ fluid and put in Dexron which ultimately caused slipping and clutch damage.

With any transmission, if you are using the factory specified fluid, and the fluid is not burnt or contaminated/dirty, there is no reason to add anything to the fresh fluid.

Hell the ATF +4 all the newer KJ, KK, XK, WK, JK and other Chrysler products use can look purple and still be fine. It’s a synthetic 100,000 mile fluid, it can take a ton of abuse look like hell and still be doing its job.

in the mid 2000’s the automobile industry had the bright idea of no “Maintenance transmission fluid”, so went full synthetic, removing drain plugs from oil pans and dipsticks from some models. I have a Ford and jeep they removed drain plugs from the transmission to discourage DIY jobs,

The KJ have trouble with their automatic transmissions (same as many other vehicles), it kind of a shock for someone who’s jeep experience was XJ to find newer jeeps with Achilles heels the XJ didn’t have with AW4 and the 4.0.

If the OPs KJ is actually shifting ok best to leave it alone. If it’s got trouble the maintenance described before can help but it’s probably already too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back