• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Banks headers, worth the coin?

MrAnderson

NAXJA Forum User
4wd

So awhile back my motor starting piston slapping. Well its starting to get ugly and being my only vehicle id rather replace it before it gives. ANYWAYS, im gonna have them throw some headers back in it, along with some Bd mounts and a down pipe with a flex joint, instead of the stock manifold(which im pretty sure leaks) cause i can basically get "free" labor and was checking out Banks. i know they've had issues with cracking but from what ive read, not only are they good about replacing them(very little headache involved) if it happens but also that they've figured it out now(feel free to correct me). But 400ish is a pretty penny and id like to hear if anyones got some testimony.

thanks,
Mike

i should note the heeps got aftermarket aem intake, 63mm Tb and cat back flowmaster system.

I just bought the Banks but haven't installed yet. I don't think our Jeeps with the dual under hood cats have to worry about cracking as much. Time will tell.

what kinda price ya get from where?

you gonna do mounts and a flex pipe? basically added prevention. and from what i know those precats are lil ovens to everything around then

Last edited:
The Borla installed nicely on my 1990 XJ. It stopped the chronic crack/leak cycle of the stock manifold. Performance and economic (fuel) impact were un-noticeable. This was a Jeep with 31 inch tires and a 4 inch suspension system. The product was very well built and installed easily. I am not sure on the compare for your year of Jeep.

If you search Banks or headers, you will find a whole lot of very unhappy Banks owners (cracks). I have no personal experience with the header, but the Banks programmer, which I was so stupid to beleive the hype, makes no improvements in performance or fuel.

what kinda price ya get from where?

you gonna do mounts and a flex pipe? basically added prevention. and from what i know those precats are lil ovens to everything around then

I bought the header at Summit Racing with a bulk of other stuff I was ordering. Not the cheapest price but my time is more valuable than futzing with the potentials of an unknown vendor for the sake of $20 or whatever.

I am making a new 2.5" stainless S pipe and adding a flex section. I will probably place the flex section under the transmission unless I decide to put it in the custom cat section I am welding up.

I am hoping that if I do end up getting cracks it'll be in the replacement Catco pre-cat section I am adding at the same time. The Banks unit is short so maybe it won't crack if the load is taken off it.

That happens when you have the model with the bunk pre-cats..

I bought a Banks header when I built my stroker. It's been on for approximately 10k miles and I've not had any issues with it. However, when I bought it and installed it, the mounting (where it mounts to the block) wasn't exactly flat. We just took a sander to it it make it level. So far I've been pretty damn happy with it, the only thing I wish it had was an O2 bung, but the stock manifold didn't, so I can't complain. For whatever it is worth, it sounds great (the stroker has a lot to do with that too, and the 2.5" exhaust), holds up great (so far), I would reccomend it.

The two piece shorty header isn't as prone to cracking as the earlier headers are. It would help, but if you have the Flowmaster cat back kit its only 2.25" tubing which isn't helping anything.

The modern Banks headers do not crack the way the original ones did.

We have two seasons of racing at 3 King of the Hammers on our Banks header, no cracks. It flows excellently, fits really well.

I would most definitely run it again. Even if they didn't use our car in their ads. :)

I do challenge you to find anyone who has more experience with this header than we do. :)

IMG_08741_zpsa4052e62.jpg

I was tossing around Banks but ended up going with Clifford Performance....

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/exhaust.html

4wd

So awhile back my motor starting piston slapping. Well its starting to get ugly and being my only vehicle id rather replace it before it gives. ANYWAYS, im gonna have them throw some headers back in it, along with some Bd mounts and a down pipe with a flex joint, instead of the stock manifold(which im pretty sure leaks) cause i can basically get "free" labor and was checking out Banks. i know they've had issues with cracking but from what ive read, not only are they good about replacing them(very little headache involved) if it happens but also that they've figured it out now(feel free to correct me). But 400ish is a pretty penny and id like to hear if anyones got some testimony.

thanks,
Mike

i should note the heeps got aftermarket aem intake, 63mm Tb and cat back flowmaster system.

That webpage has some serious bad info on it.

18 to 22 % gain from doing a header?

In fairness it reads like marketing copy from the vendor's web site. Cut-n-paste FTW!

If you were getting one of the old Clifford split headers with 32" equal length primary tubes the claim would be about right compared to a stock (pre CAT) exhaust. See picture below. All mandrel bent, smooth transitions from the flange to the primaries, primaries to collectors and beautiful welding.

I rusted a hole in the old sheet metal header so I ordered a new Clifford header, the one you pictured above and sent it right back. The pipes are not bent gently into the flange, they are just cut off at an angle and welded in, nasty sharp turns, rough welding inside the pipe. Looks nice on the outside, but the sharp edges and rough welds on the inside are a disaster for good flow and short primaries prevent using the exhaust pulses to draw more charge into the engine. Run a long primary header and the HP will go way up, and it works even better with a large cam.

Jack Clifford RIP, but why did you take the quality control with you?

John

Last edited:
If you were getting one of the old Clifford split headers with 32" equal length primary tubes the claim would be about right compared to a stock (pre CAT) exhaust.
Good god that thing is huge. Why all the bungs though? Multiple widebands? EGTs?
Jack Clifford RIP, but why did you take the quality control with you?
x2 and not only quality, but knowledge. On JS someone was told by Clifford to not go above a 2.25" exhaust on a stroker.

I wish it had was an O2 bung
The Torque Tubes for 00-01 do in fact have the o2 bungs(now, the older ones didnt) so im good there
Which isn't helping anything.
yes :( i came upon this information in my research. however due to my precats, dent in down pipe and regular cat also being restrictions i think some simple tubing is the least of my issues... scratch one thing off the list add a few others:hang: I do however believe my gaskets leaking, so it'll help that haha. Oh and btw your heep is... well, there are no words for it. however gorgeous will do. that coil swap has been on thee ol brain list since i sawit. TEEEEACH MEEEE :rof:
I do challenge you to find anyone who has more experience with this header than we do. :)
Well i am most thanksful for the info.

Well men, its in the mail. ended up getting it for party1:party1:FREE party1:party1: so i cant nit pick on wether its the perfect one or not anymore, darn

Last edited:
Back