• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warning indicators, brake lights

Sullie

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 xj, when you turn the key over to accessory there are no warning light indicators that come one, furthermore she turns over and runs just fine.

Additionally when you depress the break the brake lights dont turn on.

Before someone ask I did the obvious and checked and replaced the fuses. Is there some other issue that is common that could be causing my issue.

Could be two different problems. For the dash indicators, I would start with the ignition switch.

The ignition switch works, vehicle turns over and starts. Unless there's something not making contact within the internal working of it.

Unless there's something not making contact within the internal working of it.
Exactly.

Keep in mind, this is a 29-year-old vehicle. Do yo have a working DVOM?

Digital Volt-Ohm Meter, like the one on the right:

crup-100800-shop-05-hr-web.jpg

If the truck is a manual transmission, I have had issues with the terminals in the fuse panel being contaminated with brake fluid from a leaking clutch master. It killed my turn signals, brake lamps and heater blower. I ended up bypassing the fuse panel and installing inline fuses in all affected circuits. Plus repairng the leaking master and slave cylinders.

by accessory do you mean turning the key backwards? also what dash lights are you referring to? an 88 xj would only have a seat belt light that would illuminate when you first turn the key on.

Thanks it is a manuel transmissio ,I'll check that out.

I found that twisting the ends of the fuses a few degrees helps tighten the connection for a temporary fix.

Back