• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 XJ - Trans 2nd Gear Issue

bahumutx13

NAXJA Forum User
Morning,
I have a 1993 XJ with a rebuilt 4.0 (10k miles,) an AW4, and a NP231 and 32" tires.

So I was on a road trip, about 400 miles into it, and was heading up a hill. Well it blew out the trans cooling lines and dumped most of my ATF onto the exhaust in a lovely cloud of smoke and burnt the rest of it. The jeep shuddered a bunch and died.

I coasted over to the side of the road and eventually got a tow truck. I then had a mechanic fix the coolant lines (Previous owner had put 3 rubber o-rings instead of the plastic piece to keep the clip in place.) He then did a full ATF flush and I was on my way.

Which leads me to my current problem. The jeep is now having issues going into 2nd gear. From takeoff I'm solid, but as soon as it drops into 2nd I hear a lot of rumbling, very low power, and it seems like its going to die. If I floor it it'll drop back down into 1st and be fine. Or if I get up to speed and get into 3rd and OD then I'm good. It will cruise down the highway just fine. (It's made it over 500 miles without a hitch.)

So my main question is: is the trans f'd? Is that a common symptoms of something internal? Could it be something else like the torque converter? Any way of troubleshooting it further?

Sorry for the long read, just hoping to get some more insight before I do something like buy another trans as I know virtually nothing about transmissions. Thanks for the help.

Back