• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mystery spring

chickenbot

NAXJA Forum User
I got a pair of them off Craigslist for $50. Listing said they are 3" xj springs. Any thoughts?
fyodna.jpg

2m3ffrd.jpg

Last edited:
No pics!
It remains a mystery.

Get a micrometer and measure the wire size, then measure the coil ID, coil OD, and free length.

Go here: https://www.thespringstore.com/spring-calculator/spring-rate-calculator.html and plug those numbers in.

Crossref suspected springs in your favorite LAPS computer system. they will give you the spring rate. If they don't, find a new favorite LAPS. I recommend O'reilly, personally.

This will get you as accurate a guess as any, and more than most.

NOONE is going to be able to identify the application from your pics. There is no tag to read, and the only hope we'd have is if they were powdercoated red- in which case they'd be Skyjacker, and best avoided if you have any option.

As is, these could be from a 70's Cadillac for all we know.

With that site it says that the spring rate is 260 lbs/in. I'm going to keep searching to see which springs meet that criteria.

The parts system at Oreilly's had that information in the detailed description for each spring. Take the measurements you took down (mainly free length and OD) and the spring rate and that will give you a good idea of what the fitment was.

As a complete RESWAG, I'm thinking it may be a ZJ Upcountry fitment.

ZJ springs in good condition give 1 inch on an XJ. So if it gave the ZJ 1.75 it will give the XJ 2.75.

It's much more complex than that. You have to take spring rate, the engine in the vehicle it came from, etc, into account.

but yes, it's a decent ballpark.

The shocks that came with it had a 658702 part number on them that I tracked down to be a rough country shock. I haven't been able to find out which lift it went to but my suspicion is that it goes to a 3" lift kit of theirs.

Back