• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS install

keithscianna

NAXJA Forum User
For the past few weeks i have noticed that my engine has ben acting wierd. It will idle really low and choppy, also i will get surgeing and alot of sputtering. And sometimes it will seem to die out on me when driving at low speeds. So i did some research on this site and i think it is my TPS. So i am going to get one first thing tomarrow. My question is, Cam i just bolt on the new one and plug it in or do i have to adjust it in any way? Sorry for the noob question.... Oh yeah its a 97 auto

thanks,

Before you spend the money on this thing....Is the check engine light on? Whether it is or isn't take it in to autozone or some place with a free OBDII scanner, this should narrow the focus. Point in case...been working on cars personally for almost 10 years, had an issue that I was sure was one thing and turned out to be another. Checking could save a wad of money. If the place you take it to doesn't have a result for the code that pops up, buy a Haynes manual, section 5 or 6 gives code detail. move from there. I wouldn't just buy this thing because most places won't let you take it back once it's been installed since it's electrical.

Yes the CEL is on, It is "running to lean" I know the TPS wont make it run lean but i read that it can trip diffrent codes. What would you suggest?
thanks,

Autozone(as well as other stores probably) can test it if you take it off. I had one tested and it turned out to be bad. The rigthe code was showing up at the time as well.

Not always, but most of the time if one component is tripping multiple codes, there will be a process. TPS problem could absolutely trigger another problem, but you want to be sure that particular code even pulls up for your year first before firing away. You could end up dropping $500 on sensors following that path and still have issues. Get the code or codes first then officially troubleshoot. I am guessing the basics are covered here, spark plugs, wires, air filter and oil are in good shape right? What year is this?

SoTex brings up another good point if you can't drive it, have them check resistance. But drive it unless you fear it's going to damage something critical that hasn't been already.

TPS? help

Yes all the basic stuff is new, And the code is p0171. Also a few days ago i was driving on the beach doing some fishing. Well there was a few waves that came infront of me as i was moving pretty fast. So i got a lot of salt water splashed up into my engine bay. Almost right away i noticed it was acting really bad, It would cut out on me at pretty much anything that was not WOT. I was having a really hard time driving it and i was considering calling a tow truck. Well i saw a car wash and i figured i would maybe try to clean the salt water out. So i sprayed the engine (lightly) with engine cleaner and sprayed all the electronics with WD40, and i unpluged the TPS and sprayed the connectors as well. And it worked! It was driving almost perfect and my MPG went up to 20!!! (has ben at 14 highway) But after a it sat at home for a few hours it started cutting out at low rpm and wanting to stall again. Any thoughts.......

thanks,

Last edited:
What about the IAC motor? Sounds like that could be it also. It could be sticking. Or maybe it's the connectors for the O2 sensor getting moisture in it. That happened to me once. Luckily I found the problem pretty easily.

Water and the TPS dont mix well..

What does the code mean on 96+?

A cracked dist cap would share the same symptoms, but wouldnt throw a code.

Probably not, pumps work or they don't. Lean is determined by the sensor inputs to the computer which sets the injector pulse. Sensors are still suspect, even tho you sprayed them down.

If the O2 sees it as rich, it could be sending the data.

WD displaces water - which can force it in further in on electronics - there is no guarantee it extracts it, and it does not "dry it up." It's "Water Displacing," the water goes somewhere else.

The more I use it, the less I like it.

I have seen on other threads people theorizing that the cat is plugged too. But if this just started with exposure to water, it seems very unlikely. Have you checked under the dist. cap for condensation? could be water in a connection as well. O2 is a good one to test, tps and IAC are too. Not to add to the headache, but if these check out okay, I would move to the CPS (crank and cam) and knock sensor. Am I forgetting anything?

Back