• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Balance Beads

Add more of whatever is in there now. You're overthinking this. It doesn't matter what the weight is, or how many grams each piece is. It's simple physics.

Yeah man, its not rocket science.

If you have balanced them before on a machine then you have a ballpark of how much weight it'll take to balance them. If it took 12oz of lead weights on the outside it'll take about the same in BB's inside.

You can leave whatever bb's you already have in the wheels, and just add more to it. Even if you mix and match with airsoft bb's it shouldn't matter.

Yeah man, its not rocket science.

If you have balanced them before on a machine then you have a ballpark of how much weight it'll take to balance them. If it took 12oz of lead weights on the outside it'll take about the same in BB's inside.

You can leave whatever bb's you already have in the wheels, and just add more to it. Even if you mix and match with airsoft bb's it shouldn't matter.

Not true....if it take 12 ozs @ the rim to balance, it will only take 6-8 ozs in the tire, as the beads will ride against the inside of the tread and be ~2x as far away from the rim center.

Not true....if it take 12 ozs @ the rim to balance, it will only take 6-8 ozs in the tire, as the beads will ride against the inside of the tread and be ~2x as far away from the rim center.

Jesus christ. Yes that is true, however, the excess will simply find a good place to hang out, keeping the assembly balanced.

Meanwhile, if you get mud in the tread or other material to screw up the balance, the excess will work to counteract it. This is in fact the strength of doing the balance this way. You get an active balance as you drive the vehicle.

Once again... It's simple physics.

Jesus christ. Yes that is true, however, the excess will simply find a good place to hang out, keeping the assembly balanced.

Meanwhile, if you get mud in the tread or other material to screw up the balance, the excess will work to counteract it. This is in fact the strength of doing the balance this way. You get an active balance as you drive the vehicle.

Once again... It's simple physics.

You can put it in there if you want, but it is not needed.

Per your simple physics, if you double the length of the lever, the amount of force needed to do the job is cut in half.

Yes, in a perfect world it will take an exact percentage of less weight to balance using beads instead of weights on the rim. However, we don't live in a perfect mathematical world. If we did then he should've been just fine with the 6oz as per the manufacturer recommendation from where he got his beads.

As I previously stated, running 35x12.5r15 KM2's on 15x10 steel bead locks I am only running about 6.5oz of airsoft bb's and my tires balanced out very well. He is only running 33's and that's not enough for his to balance out. Damn, the math failed us. Granted, I figured on about 6oz based on the recommendations from Dyna Bead's website. So who knows.

I do wonder if its something other than a tire balance issue. Was the vibe there before the new wheels/tires?

Last edited:
Yes, in a perfect world it will take an exact percentage of less weight to balance using beads instead of weights on the rim. However, we don't live in a perfect mathematical world. If we did then he should've been just fine with the 6oz as per the manufacturer recommendation from where he got his beads.

As I previously stated, running 35x12.5r15 KM2's on 15x10 steel bead locks I am only running about 6.5oz of airsoft bb's and my tires balanced out very well. He is only running 33's and that's not enough for his to balance out. Damn, the math failed us. Granted, I figured on about 6oz based on the recommendations from Dyna Bead's website. So who knows.

I do wonder if its something other than a tire balance issue. Was the vibe there before the new wheels/tires?

Agree it sounds like something else is causing the problem.

I was just trying to point out, especially on new tires with no funky wear pattern yet, all that should be needed is 1/2 of what is used on the rim.

Adding more is overkill, and is not necessarily needed.

If I followed that advice, I'd have put almost 4 bags in EACH tire when I used them...but I didn't, and it worked just fine.

Simple fact is, some tires are better made than others and balance with less weight, no matter the method.

Add more. Gain the ability to balance out trapped mud, snow, etc. Still got a problem? It's not the tire balance.

No there wasn't. It rode smooth as glass. I've put the stock wheels and tires back on just to make sure it wasn't something else and shes back to ridding smooth.

Not yet. Over the next 4 days I'm going to be adding more beads and see how that works. Its been hard doing it lately since I broke my arm 2 weeks ago.

So I'm trying the strap method to try to seat the bead and this is whats happening
2ezrd75.jpg

That's fine. You will happen to jostle things about a bit. Given you're dealing with a hurt wing, might need to call in a favor.

Just make sure that as soon as the bead seats you stop putting in air and remove the strap. Things can get violent if you air it up with that strap still on.

You never did say what brand tires you bought???

Might be part of the problem. Are you sure they're actually round?

Excerpt from the very first review I found of the tires:
"Out of the 4 tires I have mounted on mine, my local tire shop was only able to balance 2 of them to ZERO (this is a tire shop that will mount and unmount a tire until is finds the best position on the wheel and will keep doing it until it's right)."

Have you checked the tires and rims for run-out?

Back