• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Auxiliary aux fan replacement issue

HH-Bham

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Long story short: At least two big chain parts stores carry a auxiliary fan that is supposed to be an OEM replacement, but I can't get them in my 1998 XJ because they have a bolt and nut that extend about 3/8" past the fan. Found one that matches my stock fan on ebay and it went right in.

This is my first post, hope I'm complying with the rules. I searched for his but found nothing.

1998 XJ, 4WD, 4.0L, Auto. Owned less than a week with 165xxx miles. My third owned XJ, but second one is my sons and I sold my 87 in 92. Been 25 years -- I'm happy and plan on keeping this one and staying mostly stock.

Auxiliary electric cooling fan needed replacement. Old one just barely slips out. New one from big chain parts store does not fit because the nut/stud protruding from the fan hits the power steering pulley. I couldn't figure any way to get it in without removing the radiator crossmember or cutting a little notch out of it.

The supposed "OEM" fit replacement had less blades than the original but the housing was otherwise identical to he stock unit. I checked with other big chain store and their replacement also has the protruding nut.

Searching on ebay I found a replacement that does not have the nut and instead uses a clip for fan retention like the original. It appears identical to the original in all other respects as well. Was half the price and free shipping too. :yelclap:

I have the new fan installed now but wonder if maybe the engine has crept forward about 3/8 of an inch or if sagging motor mounts cause the edge of the pulley to be in a position to hit the nut? Either that or there is some secret for getting the fan in there with that nut or the parts store have things wrong on their computer.

The Chinese are good at cutting corners to make cheap crappy parts, cheaper to buy. The last e-fan I bought was a proper clone on the original fan with a clip and the same style fan blades. The e-fan and the mechanical fan shroud are a tight squeeze, and unbolting the mechanical fan or removing the radiator top support and tilting the radiator will help make enough room for either one to get in/out.

Most auto parts stores computers have numerous Jeep Cherokee errors and incorrect parts exchange references. Always make sure they know it's NOT a Grand Cherokee.

Most auto parts stores computers have numerous Jeep Cherokee errors and incorrect parts exchange references. Always make sure they know it's NOT a Grand Cherokee.

Quoted for emphasis

dot see the nut your are talking about but they have always been a super tight squeeze to replace for me.

Good detail to know about. Thank you for sharing.

With regard to motor mount allowing forward movement, pay close attention to the ends of the studs on the mechanical fan and their proximity to the radiator. A good hard stop or a drop off down a ledge and those will let you know if it is past time to replace your motor mounts.

dot see the nut your are talking about but they have always been a super tight squeeze to replace for me.

Sorry, I was providing the picture of the newest fan for me, which is the one with a clip not bolt.

The Advance auto parts fan is part number G5000219525DOR. Hopefully this LINK will get you there.

Back