• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuse for OBD-II port?

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
I seem to be getting no power to the OBD-II port in my '99 Limited, 4.0.* I find no fuse under the hood marked "OBD," and the owners manual diagram for the fuse block behind the passenger-side kick panel doesn't show an OBD fuse. Is there a fuse? If so, where is it and how is it marked?

Any help would be appreciated.

* Either that or my ELM327 dongle has stopped functioning.

I seem to be getting no power to the OBD-II port in my '99 Limited, 4.0.* I find no fuse under the hood marked "OBD," and the owners manual diagram for the fuse block behind the passenger-side kick panel doesn't show an OBD fuse. Is there a fuse? If so, where is it and how is it marked?

Any help would be appreciated.

* Either that or my ELM327 dongle has stopped functioning.

FSM shows is being fuse 17 in the PDC under the hood, which also feeds the headlight switch and the power antenna. If it's a chinese elm327 knockoff, it might be dead.

I tested the ELM327 transmitter in another vehicle. It connected via wifi without a hitch and sent data. So it works.

The fuse slots in my PDC are not numbered, but I pulled and visually examined every fuse and they all seem to be fine. But the ELM327 still doesn't send a wifi signal when connected to the OBD port. Also, the lights on the device stay dark, indicating no activity.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
I haven't checked the interior fuses. But I do know that the cigarette lighter and the accessory power supply both work. So if one of those fuses protects the OBD output port , the fuse is not the issue.

I'll keep hunting. Thanks for the suggestions.

I took the Jeep in for a smog test today. The technician plugged his scanner into the OBD-II port and it linked up without a problem. So I guess my ELM327 device works fine with my DD but just isn't on speaking terms anymore with the XJ. Go figure.

Back