• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can the Ignition switch causing gauge cluster trouble?

RIDERED67

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I'm starting a new thread with a new question and updated info about my on going gauge cluster malfunction. My jeep is a 1998 sport with 170k. My entire gauge cluster does not work with the exception of the turnsignal and highbeam indicator lights. I did a voltage test of the 20 pin terminals on the gauge cluster conecters. Of the twenty terminals only a few of them had a minimal voltage reading, two showed 12.5 volts regardless of the ignition key position, and the rest were dead with 0 volts. Also recently my jeep has been intermediately starting, it sometimes takes 15-20 turns of the key(from off to start) to get the jeep to crank. So my questions are,

-Do the power wires for the gauge cluster run through the ignition switch?

-Is it possible that I have a faulty ignition switch and it is causing my guage cluster to not work?

I know I have to do some more testing to pinpoint the starting issue but I'm at work now I'm thinking about stopping by the salvage yard on the way home and grabbing an ignition switch.

Thanks!

Dead instrument panels are common, search for No Bus threads for more info. There is a Technical Service Bulletin that relates to dead gauges and replacing the 20 pin connector with an updated connector.

If your Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) is failing or failed you will have difficulty starting and dead voltage and gas gauges are a possibility. Test the CPS for failure. Replacing a failed CPS will restore the gauges function.

Dead instrument panels are common, search for No Bus threads for more info. There is a Technical Service Bulletin that relates to dead gauges and replacing the 20 pin connector with an updated connector.

If your Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) is failing or failed you will have difficulty starting and dead voltage and gas gauges are a possibility. Test the CPS for failure. Replacing a failed CPS will restore the gauges function.

Yeah, this is a new thread he started instead of continuing with his original thread.

OP--starting a new thread causes the same suggestions to be rehashed over and over.

Yes. Power to the instrument panel gauges is switched power.

Hey all, first thanks for your help!

I started a new thread because the old one no longer applied to my problem. My old thread was titled "should I replace my gauge cluster" and since the time I started that thread I learned that I do not need to replace it. In my defense I started a new thread to ask two questions; Do the power wires for the gauge cluster run through the ignition switch and could a faulty ignition switch cause a gauge cluster malfunction. I'm happy to report that the answer to both of these questions is YES! I dropped in a new ignition switch tonight ($37.00 from pep boys) turned the key and boom, all gauges work, all lights light, ready for takeoff!

To sum it up in case someone is suffering from the same problem; I was fairly certain that I was not suffering from the common "no bus" faulty wire connections at the rear of the gauge cluster since all of my gauges were affected, not just the tach and speedo as related in the tsb. Also I was not experiencing intermittent gauge gauge function, they just all stopped working one day at the same time. Also, when I turned the key to start the jeep I could hear a shorting buzz sound coming from the ignition switch but it took me awhile to realize the sound.

Now I do have one more question but I'm not going to start a new thread for it:nono:
My gauge cluster is fully functional now however the airbag dummy light is on. I don't have a scan tool. Any ideas on something simple that could trigger the light?

Thanks again!:cheers:

Possible clock spring issue, get it scanned at a chain parts store.

Back