• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ 4.0 rebuild: issues and weirdness

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
So I finally got the engine pulled last night, and have been tearing it down this afternoon. So far, I've run into two weird things.

1. It looks as though the jackass responsible for installing the AC bracket had checked out in Toledo, and installed one of the bracket bolts backwards... And then pressed in the mechanical fan hub. Given that the hub is only press-fit, and I seriously doubt I can rebuild it properly, I'm probably just going to cut the bolt and source one from a local junkyard (unless someone has one laying around, which I'd happily buy).

ac-bracket-1.jpg

ac-bracket-2.jpg

Anyone else run into this on their XJ?
  2. After pulling the head, I found that the gasket did not have holes for the coolant passages, save for the two at the very end of the block.

Pics of each cylinder, from 1 through 6 (front to rear):

cylinder-1.jpg

cylinder-2.jpg

cylinder-3.jpg

cylinder-4.jpg

cylinder-5.jpg

cylinder-6.jpg

Looking at photos on the interweb, it seems like this is frighteningly common with 4.0 head gaskets. Should this be the case? Seems bizarre to cripple the cooling of the head like that.
I'll keep posting updates as I move along, but figured I'd kick this off to see if my experiences are unusual thus far.

Found more info on the coolant passages. Not even the Mopar gasket has holes except for at the rear of the head. Apparently it's intentional/by design.

...And upon removing the only other remaining bolt from the AC compressor bracket, it swung down and cleared the bolt. Ignore me.

I need to learn to just keep moving forward rather than overthinking everything.

Well, you figured out the bolt 'Issue' before I could answer in, so thats that. All that stuff has to come out anyway, just make a list of what you took apart and in what order. I rebuilt my 4 liter recently, and questioned to myself the same thing about the head gasket coolant holes. The stock gasket didnt have cutouts on both ends, and neither did three other brands that I physically looked at, so its designed that way. The black bits of plastic under the timing cover are from the plastic tensioner that slides into the two grooves on the cover, it helps to keep the chain from bouncing around during engine speed transitions. The tensioner is usually cracked up under there, they used a lousy material for it. I used a good replacement timing set, and the tensioner was made of a durable rubber, felt much better and fit well on the cover. As you go through this job, look at other system components and determine if this is the time to replace things since everything is apart. Almost all of my stuff was original, and at 220,000 miles, was definitely showing signs of wear. Consider any available upgrades to original components as well, especially the cooling system, every little bit helps. Any questions, let me know.

Yeah that TC is wasted! The best I've seen is the Roll-Master, but they do not make one for the 1999-2001. If you are planning to upgrade the camshaft then you can do the conversion.
P1080510_zpszrlfib5k.jpg

What's this conversion you speak of? I have a 99 wj motor in my mj, and have thought of doing a cam. the little if I read quite some time ago wasn't very clear

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What's this conversion you speak of? I have a 99 wj motor in my mj, and have thought of doing a cam. the little if I read quite some time ago wasn't very clear

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The cam/gear change was in 99.
The 98-older uses a "pin/spring" to control end-play.
The 99-up uses a "thrust plate"

Hey RCP - can you provide details on the parts needed for the conversion? I'm finally back on this build following some medical issues and am ordering parts over the next couple days. Thanks in advance man!

You need a early cam and gear set(-98) , and cam bolt, washer, and plunger/spring.
s-l1000.jpg

Gotcha - found the bolt and pin setup. Which timing set is it? CS7100?
That number is correct for a Rollmaster!
Oh yeah, and is the washer shared with the later setups? Can't find a part number for it.
When I talked with Russ last year he said the washers are hard to find. I sent him a bunch I ordered thru McMaster!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like an order history link :laugh: No dice without your account credentials, lol. Can you give me a link to the washer itself off said order, or the part number?

Last edited by a moderator:
The part # is the 903***

I'll need the whole thing, lol. I can't even load the order info linked since it's personal/session data for your account (unless you want to give me your login info - all I get is a login screen).

Oh yeah - and please don't send your login info - I was just illustrating I can't open that link without them. The part number itself would be perfect for me and others who find this thread in the future.

The # is 90377A201

Back