• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE and needle bearing?????

XJinWork

NAXJA Forum User
Instructions say to remove the needle bearings in the drive gear. Now I've worked on my cars for over 30 years and I am majorly concerned about the drive gear flopping around the machined surface of the new shaft. Can someone give me a valid reason for NOT removing them?

Spline shaft won't fit w/o removing them?
I just measured the two and the machined surfaces are the same: 1.970"
The drive gear with the bearing in assymbled just fine. Hence the confusion on removing them.

Edit: It's a '92. The SYE came from Tom Woods packaged with a drive shaft.

Last edited:
Call Tom Woods and ask. You'll probably speak with Troy, but both he and Tom are very knowledgeable and free with information.

-C

What transfer case are you working on? Are you sure you're supposed to take them out and leave them out? That sounds a little odd to me. When installing the Tom Wood SYE in my 242, the needle bearings fell out when I removed the mainshaft, as the instructions indicated they would. During reassembly, they needed to be temporarily held in place on the shaft with a thick layer of grease until the mainshaft was slid back into position. I would really imagine you're supposed to re-install the bearings, but if your kit is for something other than a 242 I have no first hand knowledge.

Just did the same thing on Thursday and yep it works that way go figure

So you're saying that on yours, the difference between the shaft diameter and gear main bore is .310" (2.280" - 1.970")? I can't beleive that. It seems the gear, shaft and chain would self distruct having that kind of slop.

So, were you able to come to some sort of conclusion on this today?

i finished mine not that long ago. the surface of the new shaft rides on the machined surface where the needle bearings were. it's a hydrodynamic bearing, like on a crankshaft. i used an arbor press to get mine out. just grease up the surface when you're putting it back together to keep it from getting damaged from looseness and then fill the t-case with proper lube when you're done.

The reason it works is because both the front and rear shafts turn at the same speed(2WD & 4WD),thus zero rpms on the bearing surface!

Here's what I came up with: Short answer, major brain fart on my part :eek:.
- Instructions state "... needle bearings, common on years 87-89."
- Google returned pages showing needle bearings in years about 97-up.
- where does that leave my 92 ... I thought :confused:
- On my way to work this morning the light FINIALLY came on. I have "Roller bearings" that need to stay in place :doh:.
With the bearings in place the drive gear fits perfectly over the shaft. Nowhere did I see any metion that there might be a different type of bearing used on this gear and my tired mind only saw "... bearing must be removed".

I've reinstall the roller bearings and will press on with the SYE install tomorrow :yelclap:. Thanks.

Back