• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ftw or fml build thread

toyotawrench

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy kids, so as of last wednesday, I am a owner of a 1990 xj, 149200 miles on the clock. So this is the last basicly week for me.

Wednesday, buy and title jeep

Thursday, pick up parts at Grimms napa total cost 515.45 (thanks for the good deals mike :) )

friday get plans stright with dennis to head up to his house for the weekend to wrench.

saturday dennis got off work around 11 we met at del taco at about 12.

got to his house and starting into it.

REPLACED OVER THE WEEKEND.

1. water pump (and gasket)

1. valve cover gasket

1. cap

1. rotor

6. spark plug wires

6. totally fuket spark plugs

1. upper radiator hose

1. lower radiatior hose

1. thermostat (and gasket)

1. totally fuket 02 sensor

1. oil filter

5. qt of oil.

1. surpentine belt.

fml i still need to replace the oil pan gasket, and rear main seal. and do the diffs and covers, service the t-case, and replace the trans pan filter and gasket. OH YEA and we moved around some vacumme shit as it was dark and both my flash light batteries died :(.

So anywho thats my start is it a win? or fml i dont know you be the judge.

BTW i need someone prefrably close to anaheim that has a totally stock renix vacume set up to look at and make sure all my stuff is right to get smogged. today would be awesome, if a little further thats fine too. and its worth a cup of starbucks coffee of your choice. call me 714 366 7726.

oh yea here is pos

10-19-09_08301.jpg

well the engine was way quiter and smoother, coming up the 15 where the long grade is to seirra. i did a 45-75 wot and the temp gauge didn't move till i let off the gas. I this she has a weak fan clutch it goes to about half way between 1/2 and 3/4 on the temp gauge. And while idleing at the poilet it did the same thing, but as soon as i get moving it goes back down, just sounds like low air volume or something i dont know.
and the steering is hand full, think it needs some stuff replaced, she wanders all over.
peace
ted

well the engine was way quiter and smoother, coming up the 15 where the long grade is to seirra. i did a 45-75 wot and the temp gauge didn't move till i let off the gas. I this she has a weak fan clutch it goes to about half way between 1/2 and 3/4 on the temp gauge. And while idleing at the poilet it did the same thing, but as soon as i get moving it goes back down, just sounds like low air volume or something i dont know.
and the steering is hand full, think it needs some stuff replaced, she wanders all over.
peace
ted

Does sound like you should change out the fan clutch. Also, have you checked the alignment? Might just be out of spec (will cause wandering) not necessarily needing parts.

Sounds like your off to a good start Ted. Always get routine maintenance up to date before modifying. It's not as fun but a smart move.

thanks everyone for the support. another update I took hit for smog today passed the tail pipe but the gromet on the vavle cover is wore out and the hose going to the air box from the intake manafold was loose, fixed both and were good to go for tomorrow.

peace
ted

thanks for the biz ted, my store appreciates it! :cheers:

oh and ted if you mean the elbow that goes to the big plastic pipe at the front of the valve cover i just had to buy that today for my MJ, its a Dorman part # 46003

Sounds like its comin along nicely.

The efan will come on when the a/c is on or when the jeep gets above a certain temp, 220 I think.

Does the a/c work? If your a/c is depleted it will prevent the e-fan from coming on. Unplug the compressor electrical connection and then turn the a/c on, the fan should work at that point.

on the renix motor if the AC clutch is not connected the e-fan will NOT come on. at least thats what people told me when i was having problems with the manche. check the fan relay Ted, its by the airbox behind the drivers headlight.

you can also unplug the fan and connect some wires to it and connect it straight to the battery to see if the motor's good. even if you connect it backwards doing this it still runs, just in the opposite direction.

TODAY is a for sure fml, pulled the pan, and replaced the rear main seal went fairly smooth. got it all back together, and its pukin from the god damn oil filter houseing, and you can't get the gasket anywhere (that i called) but the dealer, its ordered. XXXX i just want to drive my jeep lol...

TODAY is a for sure fml, pulled the pan, and replaced the rear main seal went fairly smooth. got it all back together, and its pukin from the god damn oil filter houseing, and you can't get the gasket anywhere (that i called) but the dealer, its ordered. XXXX i just want to drive my jeep lol...

Weird, I was able to get one same day from the dealer in Simi Valley.

Have you looked at the write ups for the change and checked on your tools for that job yet? Access sucks.

I recommend lubelocker gaskets for the diffs. I have some in mine and they are zero mess, zero leak and re-usable.

Back