• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V8 ZJ/Durango 5.9L alternator upgrade

Jeepguy03

NAXJA Forum User
I've read several threads on alternator upgrades but was somewhat confused with what I found.

Upgrades over my stock 2000 Cherokee 117 amp alternator:
-1996-1998 Grand Cherokee ZJ V8 136 amp alternator
-2001-2003 Dodge Durango/Ram 5.9L 160 amp alternator

Apparently, these two alternators will work in my 2000 Cherokee with a little bracket grinding. The info seemed to be conflicting about which connectors matched up on the alternators of different years/models.

Also, I know my 2000 Cherokee is externally regulated by the PCM. I've read a few threads (some from other forums) that suggest wiring upgrades are mandatory and that you can't "plug and play" the more powerful alternator without frying something. Is this true? My only upgrades right now are gold plated terminals and an optima yellow top.

Any advice would be helpful, I run a lot of lights and power accessories so its time for a bigger alt.

I had problems w my 160amp 'rango alt plugging up (wires) because I'm an idiot and didn't confirm I was shipped the correct part..

when I got the correct part it plugged right in.. Mine is a 2001

also when I did mine it was a one piece bracket I ground it to fit the alt then bolted it onto the block and ground the little bit that stuck out past the clearanced part of the bracket..

maybe a year later my belt was slipping and I overtightened the tensioner and the bracket holding the alt. Broke in half! (or maybe a bolt worked loose and the belt yanked the bracket and it broke)

anyway when I got the new bracket from the j.y. There was another (steel not aluminum like the bracket) bracket that braces the front of the alt bracket that mine never had.. (maybe someone didn't put it back on after an alt replace)

that bracket also needed to be trimmed a bit .. If you don't have that bracket on yours I'd get one it makes it way sturdier and having your alt fall out on the highway is no fun

Okay thanks for the advice! My alt has been making some funny noises and I just wanted to know if for now I could swap in the 136 or 160 amp without any wiring issues. I plan on upgrading the wiring down the road (I've already done the H4 harness and love it), but for right now I'm just going to swap the alt.

I'm assuming that the 4.7L Grands and Durangos have different alternators that won't work in the XJ?

Also, any differences in the pulley? I've read a few threads about people changing the pulley but from all the ones I have seen they look identical.

91-98 will will have...
scaled.php

my alternator came from a later (newer) model dodge truck/van & had an integrated plug style... i brought it to an alternator shop & he swapped out the plug style to stud style (u'd need the reverse)...
scaled.php

all that is, is the field terminals with a diode wired into to prevent electrical interference... knowledged alt shop should be able to figure it out

DEFINITELY CONTACT 5-90... look him up, he'll have his site linked in his sig...

scaled.php

not a real good size comparison pic, but thats the 1 gauge set... complete mains kit, with fuse holder & fuses (includes 1 spare fuse, JIC)...

scaled.php

real nice quality cables... high strand count (better conductive & easier to handle/install/bend), oil/chemical resistant color coded insulation, heat shrunk & crimped HD copper terminals, fit to length, & adapting washer for converting from channeled/walled plastic insulator on alternator stud connection

Remy... thanks for that pic of the plug swap.

Gonna try to swap in a spare WJ 136amp alt i have on shelf to my 98 ZJ today. Looks simple enough, just hope the WJ casing is a match for the ZJ.

fwiw the 5.9 zj came with a 150amp alt from the factory!

goodluck finding one tho

Also, any differences in the pulley? I've read a few threads about people changing the pulley but from all the ones I have seen they look identical.

if I recall correctly people were swapping pulley's because the pulley is just a little wider for a belt with one more rib in it.. But you can (i did and have had no issues) offset the belt so as not to use that outer rib and it holds just fine

I did consider swapping if the pulley was larger as I believe I read somewhere that the smaller of the pulley's would get more spins at lower rpm .. Makes sense and I even saw a company that sells ones in basically all types in custom smaller sizes..

anyway in the end I left the 'rango one alone so (i can't remember) it's probably the same size or smaller otherwise I wouldve swapped it.

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely contact 5-90.

I know upgrading the wiring will help and is a good idea, but I guess my main concern is will I hurt anything by just installing the 136 or 160 amp without touching the wiring and leaving it stock? My jeep currently has the 117 amp alt. I don't want to burn anything up, so if the wiring is absolutely needed I will wait until I have the time.

you HAVE to replace the fusible links, should be a light green wire, that connects from the alternator to the PDC... those are rated for the factory 117A... put in a 136A, you'll need 150A fuse (5-90 recommended & approved :thumbup:)... 160A, you maybe use a 200A (110% of 160 = 176A, dont kno if a fuse between 175 & 200 is available)

all the mains really should be upgraded to SAFELY handle the extra current

xj 6 rib pulley is smaller diameter than the V8's 7 rib pulley, but the extra rib is not a huge issue as u could just mesh the belt ribs with the v-notch closest to the alternator...

the thing i still wonder about is if the smaller diameter would give u more amperage at idle, on an XJ... & would it be beneficial or harmful?... i kno it works, been working strong in my rig for over a year

but if u have a high idle switch, or wire one in, could one use the larger pulley & switch on high idle when needed?

Using the smaller pulley will help the idle curent delivery. As I see it, we can use all the help we can get. This is on my to-do list once the major items have been cleared. I removed my fusable link when I upgraded the wiring.

Here is what I did with mine.

PDCFuseInstall.jpg

Just one idea on how to handle the issue. I knew that my goal was to upgrade the Alternator as well as the wiring so I built in an easy way to do it. The problem I have with fusable links is that when they go, you are stranded. Much easier to carry an extra fuse than to carry a link. Currenty have the 100A fuse as the stock 90A alternator is still in place.

Back