• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a winch

Tow straps are much longer than a tree saver. Ideally you do not want to wrap a strap all the way around a tree or several times around a tree . The twisting motion of the strap as it tightens up will destroy the cambium layer of the tree

I think sliding is more a concern, but that's a good point I hadn't thought about. Good to know, I will add a few tree savers to my collection.

BTW- HF has straps and tree savers. Yes, it's HF, and so obviously crap, yadayadayada .. but it probably comes out of the same factory, and it's hard to screw up a strap. I've done some pretty good pulls with mine and have no issues with them.

I got ya and would run both to be honest. Wired remote and switch inside. I have everything to do the one inside, so it'll cost me some time but that's it.

I cut off a section of electrical cable (extension cord) and used that to run quick and easy to the winch solenoid pack, all in one jacket. Worked quick and easy.

Just need some shackles, thinking about going with the rope kind but what do you guys like?

What is a "rope kind" of shackle?

I'm honestly asking, not sure what you mean. Do you mean a bow shackle??

They're a rope style instead of metal, less lethal if a break occurs. Look like this: http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/gator-jaw-soft-shackles/

They seem to be legit, just kind pricey for what it compares to in forged steel bow shackles.

For a bumper mount a steel shackle is fine. I think the real benefit would be if you had to connect 2 straps together or hooking to a tree saver, you no longer have a large projectile if something let's go. I plan on buying some for that reason alone.

Very interesting product. Thanks for the info!

So what 2" hitch winch mount do you guys like or have experience with? I've decided to go this route so it can be used on the front or the back and can be taken off and out of the weather when I'm not wheeling.

First great buy on the Warn, you will not be disappointed. My Warn is close to 30 years old, I got it not working but only needed 1 selonoid to fix it. Warn backs up its winches better than anyone I know of. Mine is mounted to my front bumper as it was on the vehicle I got it off. Never babied, worked hard and still runs like new. That being said I understand the attraction to the receiver mounts if for theft prevention if nothing else. It's hard to steal a winch if it's not on the vehicle. Are you going to install a front receiver as well?

First great buy on the Warn, you will not be disappointed. My Warn is close to 30 years old, I got it not working but only needed 1 selonoid to fix it. Warn backs up its winches better than anyone I know of. Mine is mounted to my front bumper as it was on the vehicle I got it off. Never babied, worked hard and still runs like new. That being said I understand the attraction to the receiver mounts if for theft prevention if nothing else. It's hard to steal a winch if it's not on the vehicle. Are you going to install a front receiver as well?

Right, theft and weather are major things I considered just because I like to take care of my stuff but having the option of running it front or back is pretty nifty. I have a bumper that came with my 98 that has a 2" receiver welded into it already. There's a Reese receiver hitch out back with the steel stocker less the caps. Once I get the front bumper on and figure out my steering problem(s) I'll post some pics.

So what 2" hitch winch mount do you guys like or have experience with? I've decided to go this route so it can be used on the front or the back and can be taken off and out of the weather when I'm not wheeling.
I ran a drawtight i picked up from etrailer for 113 delivered.
Worked great tucked up under the bumper nice.

Sounds like a great setup. I too thought about theft and replaced one of my winch bolts with a Factor 55 security bolt. Nothing will stop a determined theif but it would make the opportunist look for something easier. Pics when all is done would be great.

I usually just weld a piece of angle over the bolts so that the thief would have to have a grinder as well. They'd have to remove the bumper first.

come down to it, a hammer and a screwdriver will get the whole darn vehicle if they really want it. With this in mind (and weather) I am designing the bumper for my S10 to have the winch covered but accessible with an access plate. Out of sight, out of mind.

Boostwerks needs to get busy and get that comp mount out. Behind the stock bumper with the fairlead tucked behind a license plate is pretty much "out of site out of mind".

Boostwerks needs to get busy and get that comp mount out. Behind the stock bumper with the fairlead tucked behind a license plate is pretty much "out of site out of mind".

I'm actually seriously considering their steering brace without the winch mount you're speaking of. Seems like the best solution on the market, just pricey. I could probably fabricate one but after time and materials, it's probably worth just buying so it's right.

hitch mounts rated for 5000 lb? not enough for me. I have an ATV winch on a tray for my dad's F150 to drag trees around (not lift them), way under spec for holding my XJ on a mountain

The ones I've been looking at are rated for 9-12K, that sounds like one meant for a smaller capacity winch, which I've seen all over in my search.

I'm actually seriously considering their steering brace without the winch mount you're speaking of. Seems like the best solution on the market, just pricey. I could probably fabricate one but after time and materials, it's probably worth just buying so it's right.

I bought the Boostworks sector shaft support kit and it's super nice. I just need to cut, drill, tap some 5/8" plate for full sector overkill.

You should look at the ironman4x4fab one if you haven't already. Does more than just brace the sector shaft.

You should look at the ironman4x4fab one if you haven't already. Does more than just brace the sector shaft.

I have looked at that one actually. What more does it do, I must be missing it? Are you referring to the straps going around the gear body itself?

Back