• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

York belt path, pic

vintagespeed

NAXJA Forum User
I finally re-routed my belt path & picked up a new shorter belt at Pep Boys today. They stock serp. belts in all different sizes in 1/2 inch increments, which made it super easy to find the right size. The part number is the size in circumference.

Anyway, I re-routed my belt off of the mechanical fan because of clearance issues with the belt at the idler & mech fan pulley. This setup looks fine to me and doesn't cause intereference problems anywhere, I just wonder if the alternator pulley has enough tension. I may have to add an idler later on.

On a side note, how is the mech. fan shaft removed from the bracket? Can I pull it out without having to remove all the brackets?

beltpath.jpg

I'll be running the dual Nissan fan setup that another poster put up last week, that looks like the hot ticket for my setup.

That mech fan pulley is held in by a press fit bearing. It's some unusual bearing that is very long compared to it's diameter. You can remove it but it takes a lot of beating with a hammer or a good press. Either way you'll have to unbolt the aluminum bracket it is pressed into to get it out.

Also, I was the one who posted the fan upgrade. Since the installation I've had several days with temps around 90 F without taking into consideration humidity and even in heavy traffic the dual fans on their "low" setting is enough to keep the 4.0L cool. I'm yet to require their "high" setting or the pusher fan on the front of the rad.

By the way, that's an interesting ignition coil mounting location. Did you free up the space on the pass side wheel well for your shocks?

might think about belt wrap on the alt. pulley, not very much contact area, might slip when under a heavy charging load.

scot

Yeah, that's what I was worried about. It's good now but under load I wonder how it'll work. I figured I might add an idler between the pump & alternator?

Back