• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old Man Emu, OME, Old+Man+Emu, O.M.E. Resource

DubaiXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've run Old Man Emu in various configurations on XJ's and TJ's over the years and I'm a great fan. I often see posts on the forum asking for this or that about OME and all to often I see retailers making a hash of OME specifications. So, as a community service, I've put together a list of XJ OME data from my own notes, ARB and other (reliable) sources. I am fairly confident that the info is accurate but if I have made any errors or omissions please correct me.

Front Coil Springs:
OME Part # Description /Application Rates Free Height Est. Lift
OME930 Light / Standard Load 160 lbs/inch 18.7" 1.75"
OME930 Heavy Load 1 - 1.5"
OME 931 ZJ I6 140 lbs/inch 20.08" 1.5 - 2.5"
OME934 ZJ V8 180 lbs/inch 20.08" 2 - 3"
OMEJGF10 Trim Packer 10mm

Notes:
1) Left and Right springs typically have a 12mm Free Height difference to compensate for height or load variations between the left and right side of the vehicle, i.e. trimming.
2) Lift is only an estimation.

I'll post up the rear and shocks shortly.

Last edited:
OK, so even I couldn't read that and I'd typed it!

This should be a bit more understandable:

Front Coil Springs:

OME Part #___Application_____________Rates_______Free Height_____Est. Lift
OME930______Light / Standard Load_____160 lbs/inch__18.7"____________1.75"
OME930______Heavy Load_________________________________________1 - 1.5"
OME 931_____ZJ I6___________________140 lbs/inch__20.08"___________1.5 - 2.5"
OME934______ZJ V8________________ _180 lbs/inch__20.08"___________2 - 3"
OMEJGF10___Trim Packer_________________________10mm

Notes:
1) Left and Right springs typically have a 12mm Free Height difference to compensate for height or load variations between the left and right side of the vehicle, i.e. trimming.

Rear Leaf Springs:

OME Part #__Dakar Part #__Application________Rates________Camber__Est. Lift
JC1A_______CS034RA_____Medium Load________148 lbs/inch___230mm___3"
JC1B_______CS034RB_____Medium Load________148 lbs/inch___205mm___2.5"
JC2A_______CS035RA_____Constant Heavy Load__137 lbs/inch,
____________________________________________257 lbs/inch overload
_________________________________________________________235mm__2 - 3"
JC2B_______CS035RB_____Constant Heavy Load__137 lbs/inch,
____________________________________________257 lbs/inch overload
_________________________________________________________210mm__1.5 - 2.5
JCXL____________________Add-a-Leaf __________+20%_________________1"
OMEU60_________________U BoltDana 35
OMEU57_________________U BoltChryCo 8.25"

XJGK01__________________Transfer Case Drop Kit

Notes:
1) A and B packs have the same load rating but different free camber. OME catalogue lists B packs with 10mm LESS lift than A packs and are designed to compensate for height or load variation between the left and right side of the vehicle, i.e trimming. There is no Light / Standard Duty rear spring.

Shock Absorbers:

OME Part #___________Description_________________Dimensions
__________________________________________Extended______Compressed
N35__________________Front_________________22.4"_________13.7"
N35C_________________Front Comfort__________22.4"_________13.7"
N35L_________________Front Long____________26.7"__________15.4"
N36__________________Rear_________________22.1"__________13.5"
N36C_________________Rear Comfort__________22.1"__________13.5"
N36L_________________Rear Long_____________24.5"__________14.4"
OMESD40____________Steering Damper

Notes:
1) C denotes "Comfort" for less damping and a softer ride. Not recommended with accessories or heavy loads.
2) L Denotes "Long". Long shocks are not intended for standard OME lifts.
3) Steering Damper applicable to Left Hand Drive vehicles only.

Happy New Year!

Andre

*MY OPINION* Not that you care but it will save money and headaches for others.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comparison : Rusty's 3" XJ lift versus OME/ DAKAR 3" Lift on 97 XJ 4.0 with transfer case drop.

3 setups compared:
(1) Stock arms, Rusty's 3"standard coils-160lbs/in., Rusty Full Packs, Rancho RS 9000x

(2)Stock arms, OME Cherokee Coils - 160lbs/in. , OME/Dakar Medium Full Packs in 3", Rancho RS9000x

(3)Stock arms, OME Cherokee Coils - 160lbs/in. , OME/Dakar Medium Full Packs in 3", N35 Front Shocks and N36 Rears

Price Comparison: Rustys 3" Lift with Shocks $418+ shipping
Total = $418

OME Cherokee 3"Lift $899+ shipping without shocks (www.4wd.com)
OME SHOCKS = $320+Shipping
Coil Spacers to reach 3" in front = $40
Total = $1260
Add $300 + for SYE and driveshaft for this lift. (SEE BELOW)
Add $30 for shims (SEE BELOW)

Price difference = $800 or more.

Findings 1:The ride and flex of the Rusty's Lift on the street and flexed better in then the OME Lift with the RANCHO shocks .

Findings part 2: The ride and flex of the Rusty's Lift on the street and flexed better in the woods then the OME Lift with the OLD MAN EMU Shocks.

Findings 3: The OME/Dakar leafs centering pins and leaf design are built in a way that turn the axle yoke to transfer case angle off so much that you must by additional shims or possible a slip yoke eliminator to remove the vibes/roars you'll get which were not there with the previous same height AAL.
In my opinion the praised OME shocks were much more firm/harsher then the Ranchos on the OME lift so I stayed with the Ranchos.

I still have the OME lift on my jeep just because of the money I have in it.
I would not purchase it again.
It makes no sense why a company like ARB/OME would put together a lift for Cherokee that doesnt match. 1 3/4" coils and 3" leaf packs. Why must you add coil spaces?? Why not just make coils of adequate height to match their leafs.

Conclusion: Rusty's is just as good if not better for much less. While Rusty's does try to
sh-t you on shipping, Rusty's still save you ton's in the long run with simliar or better ride quality and flex.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
The intention of the thread was to provide a resource for XJ OME, not to punt it as being better than anything else.

OME springs are made to sit slightly higher in the rear to prevent that old XJ problem of sag in the rear, especially when you put even a small load in.

I've run OME930's and JC1B's and my rig sat dead level with 3/4 tank of gas. I'm currently running OME934's on 1.75" spacers, a bullbar, winch and hi-lift out front and JC1A's, JCXL's and extended shackles. My rig sits level with a typical trail load and about 3/4" high in the rear empty.

This is exactly the point of the thread - If you want to sit level unloaded then a 930 coil and a 1B pack may be the answer. If you say, tow a boat, you may want the 2A or 2 B pack but you wouldn't want the 2A/B packs if you were looking for lots of flex off-road.

The point is that OME make springs for varied operating and customer requirements and all to often people end up getting suckered into the wrong choices by lack of information, (and perhaps ill informed or unscrupulous retailers) which is exactly what this thread hopes to prevent.

I can't comment on OME causing vibes - I've not experienced it or heard of anyone who has. It seems unlikely that OME are more prone to wrap than any other brand. (I have wrapped a JC1A but that was pure abuse on my part. My u-bolt nuts weren't tight enough and I was heavily overloaded on a tough 5 day trail.)

Are there better systems out there? Sure, depending on what you want. If you're looking for anything above 4-5" then OME can't help (3" plus spacers and shackles) There are, without a doubt, cheaper alternatives, Rusty's being one. I am lucky enough to live in a tax free environment so I can chuck a few more bills at my junk. I happen to have chosen OME, partly because we have an agent locally. I'm happy with my choice but ultimately that's beside the point of this thread - It is simply an info resource not a sales pitch.

Andre

I'm confused about that calcuation on price differences. The DPG 3" kit comes with "4 OME shocks, front OME coil springs, rear OME leaf springs, and a set of JKS sway bar "Quicker" disconnects" for $779. Why would you pay $899 for the kit, plus $320 for shocks?

Thanks Jeepdawg I didn't even think to verify the pricing.

Your post raises the very reason I started this thread - Quadratec (in their defence) call them "Medium Load" and "Heavy Load"

OK, so what now? Well, I have my wife, two kids, a dawg, reco gear, a fridge, spares, camping gear.... Mmmm, definitely need those "Heavy Load" springs.

So you order them and end up with 2 JC2A packs that sag down to the overload leaf with the two kids in the back, let alone all the other crap we throw into our Jeeps. From there it doesn't sag but rides like a piece of 2x5". You hit the trail and those packs don't flex worth a damn and that overload leaf hooks and drags on every rock and now you think OME is overpriced crap.

Even worse, there are retailers out there who call them "Heavy Duty". I can break an anvil if I try so I want heavy duty everything. Besides, Medium Duty is for the missus! Same problem as above and the missus ends up wiping the trail with you!

Or then you've got someone that says "Well I never load that much", fits Medium Load springs and then hook up their 1800 lbs horsebox or boat and wonders why his tail is dragging with this overpriced OME crap.

OME don't specifically say it but the Heavy Constant Load springs are actually specified (largely) for towing. If you have any intention of going off-road in situations where high levels of flex and clearance are called for do not fit 2A/B packs. If you carry substantial loads in these conditions fit a JCXL to a 1A/B pack.

Andre

Thanks for helping to clarify the confusion surrounding the different configurations. What are your thoughts on a 934/JC2A set up?

Based on your estimates, this should keep me level while empty. What about with a decent sized load? I'm not looking for a lot of flex or anything.

Currently, it's a daily driver and doesn't go offroad. I am preparing it for when I eventually move to Ethiopia, however. (I figure the duty on an 85XJ shouldn't be much.) I'll be in the city primarily, but I want it to be capable for eventualities. With that being said, I'll probably add bumpers and keep a removable winch carrier (w/winch) in the garage until I head out of town.

So do you think the 1A/B pack with a JCXL might be overkill? Thanks again for the info.

Jeepdawg, personally I run 934's and JC1A's with a JCXL AAL.

If you plan on having a winch and bumpers, even if the winch is removeable, go for the 934's. 930's are great but don't like any additional weight. The 934's are a bit stiffer, but I found that the 930's nose dived badly with the weight of a winch and bumper out front. Also, I would stay away from the "C" shocks if you've got any weight out front.

I ran 2A packs for a while and didn't like them at all. I often carry loads of in the region of 300kg plus out into the dune sea. (Addidtional fuel and water alone add up to around 150kg's!) I thought that the 2A's would be the answer - They weren't. Flex was poor and my truck rode badly when loaded. The overload leaf arches downwards and tended to hook on things - Not an issue in sand but a major PITA in rock. Empty on the road was fine tho.

I sold the 2A's and put in 1A's and what a difference that made. Great flex, good loadability, comfortable regardless of load. (within limits of course) As I mentioned earlier, I destroyed a pack thru my own negligence and when I replaced it I threw in the AAL's.

This is definitely the route I would recommend. Having had just about every combination of OME springs I am realy happy with this setup. I can carry big loads, I have great flex and my rig's relatively comfortable in all load conditions.

I've got spacers and extended shackles and sit pretty close to level unloaded on my '97. My 934's only dropped about 10mm when I added the winch and bullbar, although I use synthetic so that saved a few pounds. I would say that you might be a touch high in the rear unloaded with 934's, JC1A's and a AAL. You could either trim in front to level youself out, use JC1B packs or live with it on the basis that you'll be level with a load. This was my target. Denending on how much you're going to load, I'd say not overkill. Also, adding or removing a AAL is quick and easy, so for about $60, I'd get a set and be done. Your closest OME agent in Ethiopia will be Saudi or Dubai and neither of them carry much XJ stuff. Shipping costs are a real killer so get them before you leave. If you don't like them for whatever reason you can whip them out in an hour. Also, don't forget springs (especially leaf springs) take a while to soften up and they do tend to settle a bit. You'd probably loose about 1/2" in the rear after a month or three.

On a '85 you are unlikely to pick up vibes and if you do, a TC drop will most likely fix it. Front axle will definitely be off-centre but not by too much. Live with it or put in an adjustable track bar. JKS is my brand of choice but there are lots of good ones out there.

You'd definitely want to take a look at your cooling system. The Middle East and Africa cooling system spec is much higher than the standard US spec. At the very least you would want to upgrade to the US "Tow Package" spec or look at a decent 3 core aftermarket radiator. IIRC 85's have the closed system - If you're spending coin on cooling look into the open conversion. There's lots of info in this forum. Also look at the AC condensor and maybe even the compressor.

Hope this helps!

Andre

Back