• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jcr offroad, any good?

No, I have no pics. I have never seen the bumper except on their site or here on NAXJA.
I see a picture if the tie-in on their site and I will say that it is in-adequate to support the down force of a large tire sitting out back, a trailer in tow while driving along a bumpy fire road or similar.

What proof do you have to support this then?

I do know from first hand experience that I've towed trailers, wheeled and done some pretty hard recovery pulls with no issues. I've even driven down a bumpy fire road! More than one too!

JCROFFROAD: Have you ever had a failure that you know of?

No, I have no pics. I have never seen the bumper except on their site or here on NAXJA.
I see a picture if the tie-in on their site and I will say that it is in-adequate to support the down force of a large tire sitting out back, a trailer in tow while driving along a bumpy fire road or similar.

Dude, they don't screw around. that rear tie in is just as adequate as a class III hitch would be. There are guys on here running 35 and 37's on those and have never complained. If I didn't trust their products to protect my Jeep i wouldn't talk about them.

I have been pushed off of rocks....I have TOWED a 26' enclosed trailer with my bumper..But it only had 4 quads in it at the time...But i guess you know about this BUMPER cause you don't own one right....

First I've heard of the rear bulk head breaking. Got any pics of breakage?

They do have unibody tie-ins that share the same bolts as the gas tank skid.

I have their tire carrier with a 33" tire on it. Yes that rear crossmember will crack, sorry but I didn't take any pictures. Mine had stress cracks radiating from 5 of the 8 nuts, the cracks ranged from 1/2" to about 2" long, probably a dozen cracks total. Two of those the nut had broken off the weld on the backside so it wasn't holding tight anymore. I figure mine cracked due to the number of times I've hit it on rocks and ledges. I've hit it so hard I've had my speakers fall out of the ceiling, so something has to give eventually.

The unibody tie-ins are bolted onto tabs coming from the bumper. So they provide very little support for any vertical forces. However they provide great support for any weight being pulled horizontally, either a trailer or during recovery.

I have their tire carrier with a 33" tire on it. Yes that rear crossmember will crack, sorry but I didn't take any pictures. Mine had stress cracks radiating from 5 of the 8 nuts, the cracks ranged from 1/2" to about 2" long, probably a dozen cracks total. Two of those the nut had broken off the weld on the backside so it wasn't holding tight anymore. I figure mine cracked due to the number of times I've hit it on rocks and ledges. I've hit it so hard I've had my speakers fall out of the ceiling, so something has to give eventually.

The unibody tie-ins are bolted onto tabs coming from the bumper. So they provide very little support for any vertical forces. However they provide great support for any weight being pulled horizontally, either a trailer or during recovery.

Yeah but not everyone is as hard on their Jeep as you are! :D I am gonna stick with the stage 2 when i order mine. NO need for me really when It won't see over a 31.

I have a JCR stage 3 rear bumper, and I have had a few issues with mine. First when it was closed in hit the bezel over the lisense plate. Second I had to slot the the 8 main holes to make them line up to my factory locations, they had twisted from welding. Then most recently I was driving home from wheeling when I heard a very loud bang, and the tire carrier portion of the bumper snapped off at the mount pin where it was welded to the bumper. When I sent it back to them they welded it back together the pin was welded at an incorrect angle so just before it was completely closed it hit the bumper. I ended up calling them and they told me to get 3 or 4 guys and open the tire carrier up and lift up really hard to fix the angle problem. I am not here to bash them. It seems like I am a very unlucky customer of theirs , and most people seem to really like their products. Now I run a strap from the tire to the roof rack to keep it from shaking around. Not worth any more pissing and moaning from me. Once again not here to bash them, just unlucky I guess.

Sorry guys. I am not here to rain on anyones parade. For the last 4 years, I have spent 95% of my time in the Caribbean and my XJ in the US. I have not been around any XJ's except on the online forums. All my information are from other peoples comments and experiances.

I would like to have an integrated tow hitch and tire carrier for my XJ. JCR's stage 3 is the one I will go for when I am ready to purchase. I like the way it fit the XJ, and the way the tow hitch is recessed into the bumper, the integrated lights to name a few. What I do not like is the way the tire is carried (on their site it seem a bit low, too near to the hitch. It could also be angled to match the rear hatch) and the unibody tie in. If I were to get one, I will modify these before I use the bumper.

If I were to get one, I doubt I would have a problem with the rear of the XJ cracking/breaking since I will never go larger than a 31" tire. Also a tie in bracket over and above what is offered at JCR would go a long way to strengthing the back of the XJ against that.

I did not want to be the first to report a problem with JCR. They have many nut swingers and I was afraid of an internet frenzy.:wierd:

I first did business with JCR in 08 when i purchase the stage four front bumper. I was very happy to finally get it that I painted and began installation almost immediately. The bumper mounts would not line up with or without the unibody tie in brackets which were ordered.

Not wanting to be a pain in the butt, I had the neighbor reweld the bumper brackets. Cool, case of brew and all is good.

Soon after I got the sliders and they went on with only minor issue.

September 09 I bought JCR's steering box spacer. Install was screwed from the get go. I fought with lining up the bolts for 2 1/2 hours. I should have only measured the JCR spacer to the stock aluminum and I would have found JCR WELDED THE BOX SPACER INCORRECT!! I feel like an idiot thinking JCR would make sure the three welds would be correct. But felt like a bigger fool when I realized I stripped the gear box trying to line up the bolts. :farmer:

I emailed Brian and alerted him to both of my issues. I was frustrated but remained civil. I got an email back which told me to contact Eric their shipper and a new spacer would be sent out. No apology, no concern over the piss poor QA/QC, nothing.

Goodbye JCR!:wave1:

Last edited:
I emailed Brian and alerted him to both of my issues. I was frustrated but remained civil. I got an email back which told me to contact Eric their shipper and a new spacer would be sent out. No apology, no concern over the piss poor QA/QC, nothing.
Goodbye JCR!:wave1:

We make mistakes we ALWAYS OWN UP. Here is my pm to you dated 12/5/09. Sorry if you felt pushed off to Eric, but he is the correct channel in order to get things taken care of and shipped out. Everyone wants me to personally handle everything, but that is simply impossible.

jcroffroad said:
Kelly,
Sorry for problems with this spacer. I do remember your order and the problems we had with the order being processed. If you would like, we can send you another spacer out on Monday morning. Please email [email protected] with your address and what you need and it will get into the mail on Monday.

later,brian

We make mistakes we ALWAYS OWN UP. Here is my pm to you dated 12/5/09. Sorry if you felt pushed off to Eric, but he is the correct channel in order to get things taken care of and shipped out. Everyone wants me to personally handle everything, but that is simply impossible.

Brian,

I never stated that you did not respond to the issue, only that your answer was to send me off to your shipping & receiving guy. When my company repeatedly sends out bad parts, we don't consider it a S&R issue. We consider it a QC issue and as far as the customer is concerned, a customer service issue.

Your OWNING UP consisted of sending out another spacer which replaced the bad spacer that was lost (order lost) for 2, plus months. My OWNING UP was wasting 6, plus hours (r&r +2) and a couple of hundred dollars (new gear box) due to your mistake. This, in addition to the down time on my Jeep.

I am not whinning, only providing an honest and fair review, just like everyone else.

It consisted in sending you to the right person to get another spacer sent out promptly. If someone has problem with sliders, I send them to Daryl. Our shop is broke down into compartments and we have to do this to keep organized. It may not be that "personal" touch, but it's better then me forgetting about it and a new spacer not getting sent out!

Any chance JCR could build a xmember/TC skid for an MJ similar to the new one that just came out recently for the XJ? I emailed you guys some pics of the underneath of my MJ about a month ago and haven't heard anything back.

XJTcaseSkidPlatethmb.jpg

PS - I'm still thrilled with the bumpers and sliders I got from you guys a while back. Good stuff.

8==================D

Enough shenanigans, You know you can't get rid of your poster boy! :D So you guys gonna keep that sale going through march 15th? I need some bumpers and would like to save some money whilst I can!

this has gone way farther then i had expected... i've kinda got the feeling that they make good stuff... is there any word on when the www. sale is going to end?

this has gone way farther then i had expected... i've kinda got the feeling that they make good stuff... is there any word on when the www. sale is going to end?

They said a couple weeks into march. I am hoping to get my profit sharing check before the sale is over.

Back