• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to tell of factory Durango box is plow or non-plow version?

lordoeuf

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any way to determine if a '98 Dodge Durango steering box in vehicle at the junkyard was the plow or non-plow version? From the reviews, it seems like the plow version may be the way to go on an XJ.

Ordering reman boxes, you can specify plow or non-plow, but how to tell about used boxes at the junkyard if they are plow or non-plow just by looking at the box?

Don't know where you get the idea the plow version is the one to go for. Everything I've seen has been quite specific in that it's the NON-plow-prepped piece.

From this thread and a few others,
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=915103&page=8

I went ahead and bought a '98 Durango gear box from a salvage yard. It has about 2 3/4 turns, lock-to-lock. I was hoping for the 3 3/8" turns unit, which I understand was for the plow version.

How do we tell from the markings on the box itself if it is for plow or non-plow?

I wonder if Dodge used a shorter pitman arm and the same box with stops removed for the snow plow version to make more steering power. Mine was from a 98 non-P and used a variable rate gear and internal stops in the box preventing a full 90* rotation. I think the only way to tell is ratio and degrees of articulation.

Back