• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any one Monstaliner their rig?

smokeyyank

NAXJA Forum User
I recently acquired another XJ to build up and one thing I would like to do is paint it. It has some surface rust on the roof and hood but otherwise is decent. As I was stumbling though things I came across Monstaliner. I have always thought the bedliner look was cool and would be perfect for my use. I've been trying to gather some info but it seems their isn't a lot for what I'm trying to find. So my questions are......

1. If you did the bedliner paint job did you spray or roll? From what I'm reading with the Monstliner you can do both but spraying gives a more uniform finish, but rolling you have more control. I'm thinking rolling while slower may be a better option to limit overspray.

2. What did you do for prep and how intense? My new XJ is patriot blue and I really, really, really want yellow or orange. Part of what I hate with changing paint colors is the extra prep, specifically door jams and tight nooks. My thought though is since it says you don't need a lot of prep work, just light scuffing and cleaning, I could scuff enough and then just use tape to have it neat enough to switch colors. I'd prefer not to pull seals and windows and the other things that are needed during most

3. How do you like it?

Any additional info is appreciated.

I didn't montaliner mine, but I did herculine the bottom half of it when I cut out the rockers and chopped the bottom of the doors off.

Here is some input and what I learned. Even though the products are different, some of the same logic applies.

1) I rolled it on. In my situation, it wasn't worth dealing with the potential overspray and messyness of spraying. While rolling it on, I was able to do multiple panels on different days and at different times and it matches fairly well. With spray, there is a potential for it to look different so you would have to do the whole things at once. If you have the room, I would say go for it. The only downfall is cost of equipment. The paint guns are rather thirsty when it comes to consuming air so a good compressor is necessary.

2) This question can be answered with another question. How long do you want it to last/adhere? A "paint job" is mostly prep and very little painting. If you skimp out on this, chances are that it will eventually peel or not lay down right. While its a pain in the ass, its better to spend the extra time before than doing the whole thing again in a year or two.

I scotch brited mine and then wiped it down with acetone. Afterwards, I took a paint prep spray called prep-all and wiped it down again, only this time I had gloves on. Then prepared the material per instructions and started rolling/brushing it on. Trust me, its much easier to tape off stuff ahead of time than trying to peel that stuff off of something carefully while not damaging the other surfaces around it.

3) Its alright. The downfall is that if you catch a panel on a rock, it now has traction and has a lot harder time just sliding off. The biggest benefit I saw with it, is that its easily repairable, doesn't take a TON of work to make look decent and it was a heck of a lot easier than dealing with paint. My jeep is only a wheeler though, so it doesnt see DD duties. If I destroy a panel, so be it.

If you want to see pics, then check out my build thread.

Just my .02 cents.

Cool, thanks for the info. I have access to a compressor and spray guns as I've done some bodywork and paint on my previous projects. But since this will be mainly a DD/Camping/expedition vehicle I don't want to dive into doing a base/clear hence why the liner idea popped up. Agree about the prep work. I was planning on at the least getting the DA sander and busting through the clear and the rust patches. I just know some of those tight areas are a pain and according to the website it says it's not the same amount of prep as regular paint.

I've been playing with the idea. Did some research on line-X seems they'll do it if you remove all the trim and do all the prep work to cut down their labor. About $1500 or so

Would Like to see how it turns out.

I used rustoleum roll on bedliner on my interior, I sanded what I could easily get to and just went over the rest with a 7447 scotchbrite. I sprayed it on in rattlecan form where the roller couldn't get. It has held up fine for two years so far.

Just don't get it on your hootis.

The first vehicle I ever saw done in bed liner was Grant's (one of the original NAXJA founders) XJ back in about 2000. He did a two tone. Across the bottom was black in the outline of mountains, and the rest (sky) was yellow. It looked cool and took a hell of a beating.

I follow a couple that's on Instagram, not sure of his name on the forums. He did green herculiner:

859f99a7f441bb289b97f43d2f16fe4b.jpg

Cool thanks for the relies. Well I'm definitely thinking about it. I was watching project pathfinders videos on youtube about it and it seems pretty straight forward and holds up well. Now I think I'll just have to start saving some cash because I want to do the interior as well. Always more money.....:(

Nice Kippo. How do you like it? Any advice for doing it? I just got some samples and am actually leaning more towards the midnight blue, it's close to stock color and the more I thought about it I want this XJ to be clean and functional. I'm debating right now on just hacking the crap out of my 93 and making it a juggy to beat up.

How many gallons did it take? Curious as to what it weighs vs paint.

Sent from mobile, sorry for grammar mistakes/short responses.

How many gallons did it take? Curious as to what it weighs vs paint.

Sent from mobile, sorry for grammar mistakes/short responses.

From what I've read they recommend 2 gallons but everyone has said that is a little overkill. A gallon and a quart is what I've heard is the sweet spot. Weight wise I don't think it would be a drastic difference. When you figure your probably putting more product with doing a base and a clear vs the liner alone. I got some samples and wouldn't say the weight is even noticeable.

I just monstalined my 95 black from the body line down. Did it today. Prep wasn't bad and the install was easy if you follow the directions. I didn't need to prep anything above the handles though so it didn't take to long.

Here's what i can tell you about the install
-The biggest pain is the first part. I went around and did all the hard parts with a paint brush. Like the rear license plate area and the bottom seam.

-It's a little messy. The faster you roll, the more you fling on yourself and everywhere

- The first coat was unimpressive. I'm sure partly my fault. You will see drips, light spots, stuff stuck to it like pieces of the roller and so on. I pulled the roller pieces out and half ass fixed the runs before letting it dry for the second coat

-Second coat went on awesome. It fixed all of the imperfections from my first coat. Goes on thicker and has a good uniform texture. Plus by this time you will have a good feel for how you want to roll

-I use 3/4 of a gallon. I don't think you will need the full 2 gallons for doing the whole rig but I would definitely get 2 gallons. You don't want to be short .

- I did a ton of research and decided on monstaliner. There's a ton of good info in the jeepform. Guys that have had it on for 5 years with no troubles. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/monstaliner-interiors-exteriors-1376308/index81.html

-Only issue i had was tape residue was left anywhere the liner got on the tape.

I just monstalined my 95 black from the body line down. Did it today. Prep wasn't bad and the install was easy if you follow the directions. I didn't need to prep anything above the handles though so it didn't take to long.

Here's what i can tell you about the install
-The biggest pain is the first part. I went around and did all the hard parts with a paint brush. Like the rear license plate area and the bottom seam.

-It's a little messy. The faster you roll, the more you fling on yourself and everywhere

- The first coat was unimpressive. I'm sure partly my fault. You will see drips, light spots, stuff stuck to it like pieces of the roller and so on. I pulled the roller pieces out and half ass fixed the runs before letting it dry for the second coat

-Second coat went on awesome. It fixed all of the imperfections from my first coat. Goes on thicker and has a good uniform texture. Plus by this time you will have a good feel for how you want to roll

-I use 3/4 of a gallon. I don't think you will need the full 2 gallons for doing the whole rig but I would definitely get 2 gallons. You don't want to be short .

- I did a ton of research and decided on monstaliner. There's a ton of good info in the jeepform. Guys that have had it on for 5 years with no troubles. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/monstaliner-interiors-exteriors-1376308/index81.html

-Only issue i had was tape residue was left anywhere the liner got on the tape.

I have less body so I might get away with 1 gallon lol.
Aside from the tape thing it sound similar to painting house interior.

As far as the tape residue. Don't skimp on the masking tape. And remove the tape after it tacks up. Don't wait till it's dry.

Back