• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

traction bar, when is it worth adding?

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
is a traction bar worth adding or not worth adding for any particular tire sizes small or large.

im on 33's now and I am curious of this addition and if it is worth investing in for its traction improvement.

it would be added to a C8.25 29spl and i would need a new or additional modified cross member for mounting.

also are there any cons to this set up?

i appreciate any info

Last edited:
I've never seen the need on any of my XJ's. I have built a couple for other vehicles but it mostly depends on your spring pack. There are no downsides to a properly built one.
41400009_zps1ykytwpd.jpg

41400002_zpsxhpcvqru.jpg

There are no cons to one. I built one because I broke a driveshaft trying to bump up and over an obstacle. Plus I have pretty worn out leafs and long shackles with relocation brackets

It's hard to tell, is that near the diff?

I don't know who the hell homeslice is, but thanks for the reply.

Homeslice went around in '05. The name burnkat conjures up sort of a beatnik/ hipster vibe which suggests you may be familiar with this nomenclature.. haha.. sorry..

Yeah, you couldn't be more wrong. If I had my way they'd all be euthanized in vitro.

So I changed up the design of mine. I have a flat belly and want to keep it that way. My old traction bar had a shackle but it went through the floor which I wasn’t too fond of. So I made a slip and twist design and the shorter bar is completely adjustable. It’s built like a radius arm. Much more compact without the shackle. Only possible downside would be a hard hit bending it and therefore not allowing it to slip and twist. We will see how it goes

Traction bar is the only answer. Especially with a manual. All of the torque transfer. Its super fun.

So I changed up the design of mine. I have a flat belly and want to keep it that way. My old traction bar had a shackle but it went through the floor which I wasn’t too fond of. So I made a slip and twist design and the shorter bar is completely adjustable. It’s built like a radius arm. Much more compact without the shackle. Only possible downside would be a hard hit bending it and therefore not allowing it to slip and twist. We will see how it goes
I have seen designs that use a sliding shackle on a cross member that work very well.

Last edited:

Would you mind posting up some pics of the new arrangement?

Back