• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Over Head Console Install Issues have me stumped?!

Patriotsix

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 97 XJ Country Edition with 180k miles on it. Came from some one who treated it pretty well, the inteior is in pretty good shape other than a seat and the headliner. Any way, I decided to buy an over head console online to install because I plan on using this Jeep as a distance commuter and I'd love to be able to track my MPG so I can adjust my driving style to save as much gas as possible. I bought an overhead console from a trusted source online that came out of another 97 and it came with its wiring harness. I decided before going through the trouble of installing it that I'd wire it up to confirm that it works first. Each plug had a place to go near the fuse box and hooked in no problem. I had to get an ambient temp sensor to complete the circuit for the computer screen. Now that it works I'm just not getting any readings from it at all (MPG, Mileage, etc). All of them show dashes or 0s. I've driven 2-3 total
Hours with it hooked up and still nothing, just dashes. The screen also shuts off when I turn off my running light/headlight switch. What am I missing? I can't figure it out.

5df1f3c5df334ee634b21c331c176372.jpg
a8ba0c003298becc3b811fa9032ca3ca.jpg
20eb65d151770498c4c9ce6c856847c4.jpg
11cb5c05a503dc47c1c3597c9e4ebbd8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did you have to do any splicing or was this completely plug and play? does it have the red 6 wire connector or the bigger black connector on the module?

... not getting any readings from it at all (MPG, Mileage, etc). All of them show dashes or 0s. The screen also shuts off when I turn off my running light/headlight switch. What am I missing? I can't figure it out.

1997-01 the OHC is plug and play. I have tested more than a dozen of them and they all functioned correctly. The symptoms suggest a short circuit or open circuit in the OHC wire harness.

Try disconnecting the key-less entry module, it can be faulty which causes some odd malfunctions. Also try disconnecting the 3 wire dome lamp plug at the fuse box.

2011-03-22_07-49-32_695.jpg

I just swapped he keyless entry module from my Jeep with the one that came in the console last night and haven't tried it again since then, so I'll try that as soon as I'm off duty and try unplugging then one wire like you said. Thanks

Back