• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 Cherokee airbag light

ghettocherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1998 Cherokee that is having the airbag light come on due to a faulty airbag module. The dealerships won't do the free recall anymore so I bought and replaced the part myself. The new part is supposed to remedy the problem but has yet to help whatsoever. Has anyone else had the recall done or replaced the part themselves and had the same problem?

What problem ? Fully describe the problem/symptoms encountered. How do you know the module is faulty ? What free recall ? What part did you replace ?

The most common 97-01 airbag system issue is a faulty Clock Spring.

I had the clock spring go bad in my 97 a few years back. Along with the airbag light coming on my cruise controls no longer worked and my horn didn't work either. When the airbag light is on check and see if your horn works and your cruise controls (if equipped). If they don't work either then that is pretty much a dead giveaway that it is your clock spring.

My airbag light came on sporadically, then eventually stayed on in my '98. Horn worked fine the entire time,(no cruise). It was the Clock-spring. Easy to replace yourself. Just get a known good replacement.

Last edited:
or are you talking about the recall/tsb that moved the airbag module from under the drivers seat to under the console due to corrosion of the wires and stuff

I have cruise control, they both seem to work, I haven't tried either of those yet. Can the clock spring be bad and the horn and cruise control still work? I know I have been using cruise while the gauges have been not functioning. How much is a clock spring? My Jeep had already had the recall that moved the module from under the seat to the console. So I ordered and replaced the part myself.
The symptoms are: My gauges randomly turn off and the airbag light comes on. The gauges either set back to zero or freeze. After a certain amount of time or a well placed hit on top the dash, they resume working for a few seconds or minutes and then start the whole process over again.
There was a recall a few years back (http://www.motortrend.com/cars/1998/jeep/cherokee/recalls/ it is the second one down). The kid I bought it from said he never had the recall done so I was under the impression that it had never been done.

Last edited:
I have cruise control, they both seem to work, I haven't tried either of those yet. Can the clock spring be bad and the horn and cruise control still work? I know I have been using cruise while the gauges have been not functioning. How much is a clock spring? My Jeep had already had the recall that moved the module from under the seat to the console. So I ordered and replaced the part myself.
The symptoms are: My gauges randomly turn off and the airbag light comes on. The gauges either set back to zero or freeze. After a certain amount of time or a well placed hit on top the dash, they resume working for a few seconds or minutes and then start the whole process over again.
There was a recall a few years back (http://www.motortrend.com/cars/1998/jeep/cherokee/recalls/ it is the second one down). The kid I bought it from said he never had the recall done so I was under the impression that it had never been done.

If you want to know if it had ever been done just call up any Dodge, Chrysler, or Jeep dealership and give them your VIN number and they can tell you if it had ever been done.

Ghetto, it sounds like the wiring harness connection to your dash is either loose or has corroded. Both are easy fixes... remove the gauge cluster and clean the connections and see if it needs to be tightened up. I have been able to tighten the connection by giving each blade in the connector a very slight twist to exert some side-pressure once it is snapped back together.

Rev, I have pulled the dash off and put dielectric grease on it, what do you mean " I have been able to tighten the connection by giving each blade in the connector a very slight twist to exert some side-pressure once it is snapped back together." Like take a pair of needle nose pliers and slightly twist the connectors going to the dash?

Exactly. I just used a pair of needle-nose pliers. Mine had a bit of play in it causing some gauges to quit every now and then. Don't know if it was wear, or poor quality build. After just slightly twisting each prong in the connector,( I forget how many there are-12?), it now has a little resistance-fit to keep it pressed together tightly. No more gauge problems. Hope this helps.

Back