• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So what do you guys think??

John(XJ)Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I'm just posting a couple of pics here just to see what you guys think off the top of your heads, like first impressions.
I'll post more later today and more details but I got to finish cleaning the garage and break in the engine.

The green!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Good thing you live in Canada, there'd be no way I'd drive that thing w/out A/C in the summer.

I see your deleted the ABS, relocated the washer fluid tank and changed the coolant tank. There is more but I'm not sure what all those electronics for instance are on the left side where the coolant tank used to sit. Are they ignition controls? More details please.

I see your deleted the ABS, relocated the washer fluid tank and changed the coolant tank. There is more but I'm not sure what all those electronics for instance are on the left side where the coolant tank used to sit. Are they ignition controls? More details please.

thats just how a renix is. none of the stuff you mentioned is different from stock.

but i am wondering what the throttle body is mounted to? just a spacer on steroids?

Thanks guys! The TB is from a 99' Mercury Grand Marquis and the big spacer on steroids is the neck that comes with it on the 4.6L and I think the 5.0L.

Yes the Renix TPS is adapted to the TB. But it was difficult to figure out how to do it. I had to reverse the wiring so that it would read backwards then twist the TPS around so that at butterfly closed it would read 0 or in this case 0.8. It's because the TB works in the opposite direction.

I was looking at different colours too but I like my green and the theme of the Jeep will be green as well.

I'll post up in a little bit, I want to get my supper made first lol.

what paint did you use. I painted mine Chrysler Industrial Red using The Engine Enamel they sell at Advance Auto. Seems to be baked on pretty well, I have had almost no flake off.

Here are the details:

Everything was tanked, shot peened and sand blasted if needed. 60 over KB forged pistons 21.7 dish with sealed power rings, 4130 RPM rods and Clevite rod and main bearings, 4 weight 258 crank.

Lunati Cam 270/280, Lift 484/496, Zero deck block (-0.0215), 7 thou off the head. Machined spring perches with Teflon valve seals, 2.10 Int. 1.55 Ext. LS1 Valves Lunati Dual springs with dampeners.

Smoothed chambers, smoothed ports, ported intake. Modified ford 72mm TB, neck and intake plenum opening. HS Aluminum pedestal mount roller rockers (going for the SS rollers after these wear out) Chromoly push rods with Lunati lifters.

Clifford dual exit exhaust (1-3,4-6 separated primaries) dual before back wheel each side, HV oil pump, true roller timing chain and gears, all the gaskets and all stainless steel hardware. ARP Head studs, engine girdle taken from a 96+ block with .130 lock washers to space out and a new stainless steel injector heat shield made by me cause the stock ones are shit! All paint and prep done by me and the Intake, VC and bracketry sandblasting done by my friend "Ryan Sciascetti" I think that's everything. lol

Also plus other various engine compartment mods and re-routing.

Also had to move the radiator forwards 2 inches to clear a 13" fan from a 03' Malibu, blows like the dickens at full tilt. :D

Here are some more pics!

I used Dupli-Color Grabber Green Engine Paint with Plasti-kote engine primer, Dupli-Color High Gloss Black and Chrysler (Eww) Charcoal Grey Metallic on the accessories which I found is not quite the same as the AMC Charcoal Grey Metallic.

Looks good (aside form the color choice). I like the use of spring seats to keep the valve from walking. Also, fix the CCV system. The way it worked stock is fine. And you may want to do something about that wiring rats nest on the fire wall.

Yeah but I think I'll fix it as I go along though, there are some other routing issues I have that is not seen in the pictures as well that I have to fix. Not to mention the nest under the dash I got to clear up as well. The CCV system sucks balls, it sucks aerated oil into the intake system and dirties the hell out of everything, along with the EGR system too does the same.
No, I'm going to see if I can find a suitable filter first then run stock routing again. I'm going to be out today getting a few other parts (need to pickup steering stabilizer) and I will be looking for a better solution.

The CCV system sucks balls, it sucks aerated oil into the intake system and dirties the hell out of everything, along with the EGR system too does the same.
Its going to end up on your valve cover or the hood then. If you are concerned about pulling oil in to the intake you could get a catch can.

i would like to see some more images of your exhaust

i saw some under body rust issues you should address. at least get some paint on it so it does not get worst

Its going to end up on your valve cover or the hood then. If you are concerned about pulling oil in to the intake you could get a catch can.

x2. Love the engine, is that a Fram oil filter though? :scared:

Yeah its a Fram filter they are one of the best for pulling junk out but they do clog up fast and break. I got 2 for the fast break ins and got K&N's for the regular intervals. I haven't have one fail on me yet but I still want to get better ones from now on for the rebuild. I heard K&N, RP and AC Delco were good reliable ones I'll end up using one of those three.

AND I did get it to run, fired up right away but the timing was still way off. Once I moved the dizzy, it was starting fire at cylinder 4. After that and some minor idle tweaking she idles smooth without dieing; however smooth is with a lumpy cam.

I haven't got the exhaust done yet. It's bloody expensive people want too much money for such little work. I want to go out of town today to grab some discount cats from a guy I know that manufactures exhaust parts so that will drop the price dramatically. But if you want to know what the exhaust is like right now I got the Clifford header with a couple of 8" shooters to the ground and everything shakes, the ground, windows, my entire body like hard bass on the chest. It's just crazy I'm not used to this sort of thing I can't stand over the engine and hold the throttle it's that loud and hard on your body. I'd have to sit in the Jeep to hold the throttle and even then it's a little uncomfortable at first. It's just something I have to get used to and when the exhaust goes on it will be easier for me to drive in but I still don't want mufflers though, just cats.

Back