• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

[Tech Writeup] Replacing the seals on your Dana 30

Well done!!!! I just did minw last night. Seals, U-joints and a new locker. Im about to go out and finish it up.

Again, well done!!!

Kenny

Great writeup!

FYI, you were very close to making life easy when you stuck that socket on the end of the unit-bearing bolt. Check this out:

unitb-1.jpg

Just turn the wheel and pop it off. You can that Stu Olson for that tip.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unitbearing/unitbearing-1.htm

sorry i guess i left that out, i was also chasing a squeak that turned out to be in the double cardon joint in the driveshaft... i supposed you could leave it in but hey,
who doesnt want to take 2 mins to pull thier shaft
:gee:

i was originally planning on changing the pinion bearings as well but it turned out they werent bad, and the seal is only seeping so i decided best not to mess with it... plus im lazy ;) thanks for the comments guys, anything i do to my jeep im going to document now.. maybe it will help someone else who gets stuck along the way.

awesome write-up man but why do you want to keep this great tech for your local boys. us east coasters love to read this stuff too.

as far as a local tech forum, i think we need a tech archive section to this forum. im also into hot rods and i frequent the HAMB message board at jalopyjournal.com they have a tech archive that is a vast reference to everything traditional hot rod tech. we need something like that here so great write-ups like these don't get buried in the abyss of threads like "is my cracked manifold a common problem?".

btw, i loved your comic relief.

tigerShark said:
awesome write-up man but why do you want to keep this great tech for your local boys. us east coasters love to read this stuff too.
its not so much that i wanted to keep it local, its just that stuff gets lost in the national forums to easily, and nobody seems to care. ive seen some great writeups in the past and they just go away without a second glance. i think it discourages more people from doing them... i mean whats the point, the post is going to be buried in a day anyway. and its a pain searching for this stuff because so many questions get asked about the same subjects that it takes an hour to find what you are looking for. thats the only reason i suggested maybe a local forum, where there are less posts, would be a good idea since the national BOD seemed like they didnt want to deal with it. :dunno: anyways, without getting into politics too much i just wanted it to be easy to find the writeups, thats all :D

btw, i loved your comic relief.
haha thanks im a jokester, if i take something seriously im pissed :D

GrimmJeeper said:
its not so much that i wanted to keep it local, its just that stuff gets lost in the national forums to easily, and nobody seems to care. ive seen some great writeups in the past and they just go away without a second glance. i think it discourages more people from doing them... i mean whats the point, the post is going to be buried in a day anyway. and its a pain searching for this stuff because so many questions get asked about the same subjects that it takes an hour to find what you are looking for. thats the only reason i suggested maybe a local forum, where there are less posts, would be a good idea since the national BOD seemed like they didnt want to deal with it. :dunno: anyways, without getting into politics too much i just wanted it to be easy to find the writeups, thats all

this is why we need a tech archive. admins can move the worthy posts into this section. its almost like the FAQ sticky but much deeper. it can have those FAQ's and the great write ups that show up from time to time. it could even be categorized, i think this is something that this forum really needs to consider because this forum gets older and there are so many great posts that are impossible to find. check out this great write-up that was never even replied to. must have been posted and disappeared into the abyss of NAXJA.

Thanks for this, I was going to have this job done by a mechanic but thanks to your write up, I think I'll take a stab at it. The only thing I'm really worried about is getting the seals in right. I don't want to have to go back in there because I didn't seat the seals properly......Any more tips on the seals? Did you use any RTV, and if so, how did you apply it?

This kind of Tech Writeup makes The Naxja forum very usefull and interesting.
Especially with the pics, it is also very understandable.
I hope, also for many foreign people, more of these Writeups. Thanks a lot!
Greetings from Holland,:yelclap: :yelclap: :yelclap:

Leica99XJ said:
Thanks for this, I was going to have this job done by a mechanic but thanks to your write up, I think I'll take a stab at it. The only thing I'm really worried about is getting the seals in right. I don't want to have to go back in there because I didn't seat the seals properly......Any more tips on the seals? Did you use any RTV, and if so, how did you apply it?
no RTV, but some people use it. the RTV you see in the pics is from the factory pressing the axle tubes into the housing.the seals are a pain to get seated all the way. you will know they are in all the way when they are sitting flush with the axle tubes. you really need to pound on em to get them in, as long as you are using a 36mm socket like i did you dont have to worry about ruining them. dont try to do it alone, you need one person lining up the bar on the socket to make sure the seal goes in even, and one person hitting the end of the bar.

good luck! if you run into any problems shoot me a PM i check them often.

I stopped at Harbor Freight today and got a decent seal tool, as well as a dead blow hammer, torque wrench, and prybar. All for 40 bucks!

I still need the big socket, but I'll go to Sears for that. Harbor Freight sockets tend to break. I should be getting started on it in a few days, thanks for offering the PM, I'll shoot you some questions if I run into any trouble or have some questions.

Leica99XJ said:
.Any more tips on the seals? Did you use any RTV, and if so, how did you apply it?

IMHO the most important thing is to make sure that the new seal doesn't get distorted. While pushing the seal in, if the seal tips instead of going straight the skirt will bend and could leak.
I cleaned and degreased the bore and the shoulder where the seal rests and then put a thin bead of RTV on the shoulder only. When the seal went all the way in, it touched the RTV.
I checked the axle shaft splines for burs and greased the area where the seal rides, to avoid a dry seal on steel.
I cleaned the axle tube of accumulated dirt to avoid contaminating the diff during shaft installation.

OMG...you left the 36mm socket in the diff. case!! J/K....good writeup, good pics. I saved it to "My Favorites" and will eventually burn it and all the other Tech Tips I have saved to a disk.
Once again thanks for taking the time to share this with all of us.

Hey Grimm, great writeup, I just pulled my front shafts today to install my Aussie. One thing that I found that really helped me get the three 12-point bolts out was to use a wire wheel and brush the (insert expletive of your choice) out of the exposed threads behind the brake rotor. I pulled the passenger side before I thought of this, it took me forever to get the bolts out. The driver's side bolts I brushed and they came out MUCH more easily.

I did ball joints and unit bearing on the passenger side yesterday, planned on doing driver side today. Well, jack up driver side, woohoo, leaking like mad on the passenger side (the side i tore apart yesterday).

I took it so easy putting the axle shaft back in but something obviously isn't right. Thanks for the write up, now that I have to basically tear the whole axle down, it's gonna have to wait until next weekend. Saved your whole thread for future reference, excellent write up.

James

Back