• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ bed trailer ideas..

Xtreme XJ

NAXJA Member #1138
NAXJA Member
Who has made a trailer out of the MJ bed? Did you make it a utility trailer or a camping trailer? Did you use the bed only or use the exsisting frame and extend the tongue? Any magic # for a tongue length?
I'm toying with the idea of building one.
See Ya!
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

In AZ you can no longer register a trailer that has been made out of a truck bed, adn I believe CA is the same, I was gonna make a wheelin trailer but the state shot me down

Lawn Cher' has one made by chopping off a wrecked MJ behind the cab and adding a 'Y' to the front of the frame rails.

Fore Wheeler made one using his own subframe.

Lawn Cher' has one made by chopping off a wrecked MJ behind the cab and adding a 'Y' to the front of the frame rails.

these type are no longer legal in AZ, ones that are already been made aera granfathered but no new ones

trailers can be homebuilt tough, I guess you could made a flatbed frame, get it registered take it home and put the bed on it

Ca. is O.K.

Well I called Ca. DMV (what a chore the day after our newly elected Gov. repealed the 300% car reg. fees.) this morning & they said the trailer is fine to build and register as long as I have documentation (the receipt from the boneyard) and bring it and all other paper work to the DMV when I go to register it.
So thats one fire stomped out....
Thanks !
Curt (Xtreme XJ)

I know that Eagle and XtremeXJ both have this pic, but for the rest of you, this is what I've done...

815mjboxframe-med.jpg

I like the idea and clean look of the built frame, and it's easy. Toung length I determined by figureing what distance I needed to jack-knife the trailer and have my bumper hit the toung instead of the trailer box hitting my Jeep. Right or wrong, that's how I did it. I also built it to handle 38" tires with a 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern to match my XJ axles, this way I've always have two more spares.

You want a mj bed? If you dont mind a little bodywork, i might have a complete one availibe pretty soon....

MJ%20and%20Trailer%20001

i had more pics of this guys trailer, but i dont know what happend to them and the web where i got them doesnt work any more...oh well.

Last edited:
partsbill said:
Do you have a relatively good tailgate on that instead of the whole bed/
Bill

Yeah the tailgate is in decent shape. I'll post it on the for sale forum when i get my flatbed done- might be a while though...

Just a thought, but I have a trash hauler, with a single trailing arm(each side), coil, independant suspension. I took the whole rear sub frame, off of, a front wheel drive Van. Any load from empty, to overloaded, it pulls better than any leaf spring type trailer, I´ve ever tried. I´ve layed tools in the back and had them still be there, when I got home (driving empty) and have run loads around a ton. Works really well on the interstate. Bonus is it has a 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern.
The frame is a big T, with the cross of the T being the mount for the sub frame and suspension. Frame could be a + , for extra strength. A few ribs and your finished.
My bed is a sheet of sealed (polyester coated) 3/4 inch plywood. Might rot somewhere sometime, mine is over ten years old. Don´t under estimate plywood, a few bolts (large washers) and a sturdy frame, make a really durable platform.
As a side note, I´ve used plywood (12 ply) for skid plates, actually works better than steel or aluminum. Won´t bend, won´t dent, has a really good memory (springs back to where it was), easy to replace. Used it for a sub frame on VW Buggies.

If you can access the madxj yahoogroups, I have a number of pictures of my long bed MJ trailer in the files section under Jeffs Jeep mods and then in MJ trailer. I purchased the back of a 86 MJ which had been chopped directly behind the cab. I trimmed the frame rails even with the front of the bed with a little asthetic angle after 3 inches down. I built a real heavy tongue with 3x3x.25 steel and 4x2x.25 steel tubing to give the trailer enough tongue weight. The 3x3 slides into the MJ frame about 1.5' and is through bolted with three bolts per side. The rear most bolts also go through a C channel crossmember with tabs welded to the end that the bolts go through. A long tongue made of the 2x4 tubing is welded to the center of the C channel crossmember and extends out to where a bolt on hitch coupler sits. The 3x3 frame pieces come out a few inches from the frame rails and then angle in to the 2x4 tongue. I also added a piece of 2x4x1/8 that goes across the front of the bed and fits into the the A-frame to make kind of a bumper for the front of the bed. So far I am using the stock '86 rear axle, but plan to make a new axle using full sized chevy front spindles/hubs/wheel bearings. THat way I'll have individual wheel bearings and a matching bolt pattern for the 6 on 5.5 axles on my XJ. Jeff

Back