• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

!#@$*!$#!%$@#, !%^#$# - broke a rear top shock bolt off

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
Well title says it all. It was turning back and forth just a smidge too...so stupid me for putting too much force on it. From what I've been told just working it back and forth adding BP will eventually get it out.

Any advice on what to do now that' it's just a sheered off bolt? It broke off even with the rest of the metal so at least the body of the bolt is accessible.

Any advice on using what's it called? a screw extractor or easy outs.

Or should I just air hammer the bolt body out and snake a new bolt in with some safety wire?

Actually I'd rather try to preserve the threads if I can first before punching it out.

I'm all ears.

"Easy out" has got to be one of the biggest misnomers in automotive tools. But the correct name is much too long for marketing purposes: "Easy to break off, nearly impossible to get out". So they took the first and last word and gave it the name you know.

Don't even bother with that route.

If you have access to a welder and can weld a new nut (or something you can pretend is a nut) on the remnant that is your best bet. The extra heat tends to help too.

Keep going ..... the other 3 will do the same.....
You can try and drill out whats left,and if lucky use a larger self-tapper bolt in the hole

Don't over think it...

I just drilled out the bolt as close to the original size, re-tapped to the next largest size bolt, drilled out the bar pin hole a bit to fit the new bolt...done.

Don't over think it...

I just drilled out the bolt as close to the original size, re-tapped to the next largest size bolt, drilled out the bar pin hole a bit to fit the new bolt...done.

Thats over thinking. They are just weld in nuts.
By the time you get one drilled and tapped you could have punched then all out with hammer and punch or air chisel and fish new bolts in from the top. I recommend star washers undef the bolt heads.

I have been through this EXACT process. It is not the end of the world, despite what other posts may imply. Get a good carbide bit (or harder). This is the most important part. Have good, hard, metal drilling bits. Lay under the jeep and drill out the bolt stud. Start small if necessary and increase bit size as needed. Eventually you will drill out the whole bolt shaft. Then take a tap OF THE SAME SIZE AS THE ORIGINAL BOLTS and re-tap the holes. This will take about 30 minutes (or less) for each bolt. Yeah...it takes an evening...then replace them with STAINLESS bolts and anti-seize compound so it won't happen again. It is not THAT big of a deal to drill out bolts. Fairly common practice. Just have good bits. I recommend having extra bits. They get dull and they break.
Tip: DO NOT BREAK OFF A BIT IN THE BOLT SHAFT. This will make for a bad day. Be gentle with the bits and drill.
This is not a huge deal. Just time consuming. Drill, drill, tap, done. Not that big of an issue.

Good Luck.

Well, finally tackled this. Got an air chisel at HR and punched the rest of them out after all of them broke off. Snaked some grade 8 bolts w/ large washers through. Now I just have to get the new shocks in place. I've got some nylox locking nuts like was suggested but I'm anticipating a problem keeping the bolt from turning as I tighten those on. Maybe I can put enough side pressure on the top of the shock to hold those bolts in palce.

I had 3 of mine go out and I bought the rough country bar pin flag nut replacement kit. I am sure they are overpriced for what they really are and what people have done on their own, but i found it extremely convenient

Back