• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Balance Beads

I was by myself and its kind of hard to use a cheetah alone. Also when the lip of the wheel and the bead of the tire are 5" apart

I know that pain -- I had to seat 35/12.50/16 General grabber AT2 on to 10" wide rims on my suburban -- the rims are at the top of the recommended size for the tires

Couldn't do it alone, had to use 2 air blasters , firing both at the same time to get the tires to seat -- It was a PIA, they look great, but I'll never go that wide again

I'm going to need to get more because in the mornings I get horrible pulsating vibes at 80mph. Last night I opened them back up and put another 1.5oz pre wheel and took out the bags they came in. I thought they were causing the problems b/c they melted in the tire bead seating process.

Yeah, you're supposed to either pour them in free before mounting or remove the valve core and pour them in after mounting. Either way, they need to be out of the bag to work or you'll get vibes.

f42r7k.jpg

this is them mounted

15x8's would be better, less likely to lose a bead when aired down. Especially with aluminum wheels.

Yeah 15x10's are not good for 4-wheeling, but what tires are those?

hasta
I was by myself and its kind of hard to use a cheetah alone. Also when the lip of the wheel and the bead of the tire are 5" apart

Ratchet strap. Been mounting tires for decades by hand, alone. Never used explosive means.

I am going to do an alignment on it today and see if that helps. I've noticed that side walls are very soft and when they vibrate they do from sided to side instead of up and down

I've never heard of that method before. I will definitely use that for now on.

I tried it when doing my 35's on the 10" rims -- still needed the 2nd air blaster

The ratchet strap is a good method for a stubborn bead and not enough air but those 10" wide rims are "special" for sure

I've never heard of that method before. I will definitely use that for now on.

Awesome, glad to help!

BTW, you ARE removing the valve core before seating the bead, right? LOTS more volume that way. And you need a good source of air, lots of capacity. CO2 tank works well too.

I tried it when doing my 35's on the 10" rims -- still needed the 2nd air blaster

The ratchet strap is a good method for a stubborn bead and not enough air but those 10" wide rims are "special" for sure

All the more reason to run 8" wide wheels. Better bead retention, too!

Awesome, glad to help!

BTW, you ARE removing the valve core before seating the bead, right? LOTS more volume that way. And you need a good source of air, lots of capacity. CO2 tank works well too.

lol I work at a car dealership and have access to all the "special tools" including a tire machine. And yes I do remove the core

So I did my alignment last night and the toe was off -.30. I fixed that and it rides much better. Didn't think little would cause that much.

All the more reason to run 8" wide wheels. Better bead retention, too!

I certainly agree -- I am very hesitant to air those tire down offroad -- The suburban isn't much of an offroad vehicle anyway, here on the east coast, the burb might as well be a school bus in the woods -- it seems to get bigger on the trail

lol I work at a car dealership and have access to all the "special tools" including a tire machine. And yes I do remove the core

Must be a Yugo dealership if they’re letting you use combustion to set a bead.

Hey, ya know they (yugo) are coming out with a bigger SUV style vehicle this time......it's gonna be called the "weallgo"

And on that note..

They also are coming out with a new vehicle for the Millennial generation...

(WAIT for it.....)

It's called the he/she/itgoes.

So the beads I have in it now aren't working in the rear so I'm going to try airsoft pellets and more of them. I'm going to try about 14oz in each tire and see how that goes. I'll be using the .2g pellets.

Back