• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home made flares

WickedWild

NAXJA Forum User
I'm running 33x13.5x15 Boggers with a healthy offset, already trimmed the fenders and I'm looking for ideas for home made fender flares with 10" of coverage. On the Jeep's maden voyage I hit the first mud hole in 2wd in low (front axle had not locked in yet) and I got 40' rooster tailes and completely covered the Jeep front to back with just the rear tires. With the front tires spinning it's worse. I don't want to just bye them, goes against everything else on the Jeep. I have to keep the total build cost under 1G and so far I'm @ $675. I've read and searched (I prefer to lurk and search as to post) but most I have found are TJ, BW, and Rusties flares. Suggestions?
Sorry I dont have a better pic but this will get you the idea.
Camera%20Pictures%202006%20459.jpg

id say your best bet and the cost you are working with... old tires. it works for alot of guys and they'll bend and flex without ripping off on the rocks. you can basically make them as wide as you want and paint them any color you want. they aren't very attractive... but they work

ha ive been toying with the idea of modifying my stock ones with fiberglass. I plan to cut the stock ones up and use clay to fill in the extension then fiberglass over the clay onto the plastic, sand it paint it, then bolt the mess to the body. It will take alot of time but cost alot less then those expensive bastards, and you can just fix it with more fiberglass .

Lawn edging. Cheap and easy, just cut off one of the rounded edges and screw the other one to the fender. It comes in almost any width. and if it rips off, you still got half the roll left.

283721_front200.jpg

Try extended TJ Flares like This

2006_0220021.jpg

The problem with that is it looks kinda like an H3 from the front.

passxj said:
The problem with that is it looks kinda like an H3 from the front.
That and they'd be torn COMPLETELY off on my first trail of the day....
But, they're not going on mine, so I'll just :gag:

I was originaly thinking Lawn edging but I dont think it's long enough. I have some 225 45 17 tires off of the Z I'll see what that looks like. The rims are 15x10 and any less offset I loose full turn and eat my lower controll arms in the front. The passenger is going to be my wife.
DSCF0379.JPG

my buddie works at a place that makes conveyer belts, so I got him to get me some 6" wide x 3/8"strips of belt and a pair of T cleats (almost a triangle), I cut the t cleat down the middle (made 2 smaller triangles).

then I used rubber glue and #12 square/robertson screws to attach the 1/2 t cleat to the belt strips, and then screwed the assembled "fender flare) to the fender with more screws
I have the back ones as well just been too lazy to put them on

the best part is it didnt cost me a dammed thing, if your lucky you might be able to get some cut offs for cheap or free

IMG00006.jpg

Last edited:
The rear is conveyor belting and the front is TJ extended flares. The TJ flares were fiberglass(Steel horse?) and broke the first season they went on. Now running Rubicon TJ flares held on with Tie wraps so they'll pop before damaging the fender. The rear I have put into many trees and it just pops back out.

19CHEROKEE89 said:
i may be taken but i still think u have a hott wife...

it has to be the jeep thing workin for ya.

haha sorry man im just playing.
Did someone just hear a Banjo and cowbells? :dunno:

mike86xj said:
my buddie works at a place that makes conveyer belts, so I got him to get me some 6" wide x 3/8"strips of belt and a pair of T cleats (almost a triangle), I cut the t cleat down the middle (made 2 smaller triangles).

then I used rubber glue and #12 square/robertson screws to attach the 1/2 t cleat to the belt strips, and then screwed the assembled "fender flare) to the fender with more screws
I have the back ones as well just been too lazy to put them on

the best part is it didnt cost me a dammed thing, if your lucky you might be able to get some cut offs for cheap or free

IMG00006.jpg

Where did that light bar come from???

I made the light bar myself, It's 3" exaust tubing with 3"x6"x1/8" flat steel tabs welded to the ends

the conveyor belt I used is ment for hauling rock so it is very durable but still extremly flexable.
IMG00053-1.jpg

whoops that pic was a little big

Back