• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX5 swap for AX15???

XJMJguy

NAXJA Forum User
okay, I have an 87' comanche 4.0 with an AX5 tranny and an np231 transfer case. I am getting a new np231 from a friend for $100 and he says he'll give me the tranny for $200 more which I believe is an AX15. my question is: how much better of a transmission is the AX15 over the AX5? my AX5 seems to be in good shape other then the slave cylinder (the reason it is out), so would it be worth it to try and do a tranny swap assuming it is an AX15 with a 21 spline output shaft? thanks in advance

Are you certain that you have an AX-5? An '87 MJ with 4.0L should have a Peugeot BA 10/5 transmission. The AX-5 was used behind the 4-cylinder engines.

well the tranny is dated 90' so it isnt the original, I am pretty sure it is the AX5 though, I will double check as soon as I find my 4wheel magazine with all the tranny pics in it. but is the AX15 better then the AX5???

running a 4.0L with a tranny designed for a 4cyl motor is asking for problems...

okay, I am wrong. upon closer inspection Eagle was right it is the Peugeot BA 10/5, so now it seems the question would be: is the AX15 a better tranny then the Peugeot BA 10/5? and if it would be worth it to swap?

well now I have answered my own question with my new found knowledge. through a search it seems many feel the Peugeot BA 10/5 is a horrible tranny so it seems it would be a good idea to upgrade. thanks guys for the info.

The AX-5 is difficult to swap out for an AX-15.

However... since that isnt' what you have...

The Peugot junk, the AX-15, NV3550, and the 6 spd all will bolt up to the 4.0.

I know the AX-15 and the 3550 interchange with no dshaft mods.

The peugot and the AX-15, dunno.

Also, try to go with the external slave at the same time if you at all can. Those internal slaves suck.

The AX-15 is a definate upgrade. Be careful on what tranny fluid you run. There are problems with some of the fluids eating the syncros. If you can, make sure and get a tcase shifter for the AX-15/NP231. I'm pretty sure they are different, but easily found at most junk yards. I may be wrong but there may be a slight difference in the driveshaft lengths.

cool, thanks for the input unfortunately my friend has the same "Peugot junk" I do so, it looks like for now I'll just stick with it. I am interested in this 6 speed over2land speaks of. Is it the new 6 speed they are putting in the wranglers or was it used in some other application?

Back