• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap!!! Renix WiFi data scanning :-)

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
These guys are moving fast folks!!! Now we have a way to use WiFi for Renix XJ live data!!

http://tractorenvy.com/tapping-the-early-jeep-ecu-part-3/

THis guy has broken the 2.5 and 4.0 code?

Old_man this right up your alley. Its something 5-90 planned to do for years.... Now we have the hard wired REMs (NickinTime 's facebook page) versions A-Z already, LOL and now WiFi.

Oh, and Cruiser54, his data confirms that the NGK O2 sensor solved his problems (I think his Renix sensor was Bosch?)
Or just by a fire sale MT-2500. Won't be long before those guys start programing them!!!!

Oh and there is a 1995 XJ for sale on Ebay for $16,995 now. 39,xxx miles LOLs :D

Unless I am mistaken, Bluetooth is a short range Wi-Fi (both are called wireless). He set it up for use with a cell phone. He is farther ahead than Nick on the wireless connectivity, last I checked. Nick is the one that shared it on Facebook 2 days ago.

I thought the REM device had a Bluetooth Module option? More useful than wi-fi if trying to connect with a smart phone.

https://nickintimedesign.wordpress.com/extra-pins/

ljobbins: Cool idea but do they have a blog not written in Chinese so I can understand what they are saying?

Not Chinese, its binary, 1s and Os, LOL. He and nickintime and others are build the stuff as an open source, and they are moving fast, so there should be several nice versions and options available this year. NickinTime as already and sold about 100 of his rigs (beta versions with upgrade-able software as the code is refined). A lot of Renix rigs are finding new life thanks to these.

Damn, I'll have to give up the flip phone!

Yep, time to join civilization as my son says, LOL. Gave up my dumb phone for a smart one in 2014 LOL

Damn, I'll have to give up the flip phone!

He's actually running a web server on the device, so you don't actually have to install anything on the phone.

Yah, about that, did not know that was even possible, but I saw that and scratched my head, sounds like I have some hacking skill honing... and catching up to do. Time to up grade my IBM punch card stuff LOL. All I know I was excited to see what he was doing, and wishing I was 20-40 years younger with too much time on my hands LOL.

Soooo, fill me in please, how does one put a web server on a cell phone?

I have never really dug into the cell phone app tech, yet, but I use them, like Torque....

Soooo, fill me in please, how does one put a web server on a cell phone?

His device acts like a wifi router and has a web server in it (not the phone). You connect your phone to it like you'd connect to your home wifi network, punch in the address into your browser on your phone and get a nice webpage.

Thanks, that I understand!!!

Reading real time Renix ECU data is nice. But what's interesting to me is finding all the set points that have been programmed into the old Renix ECU for decision making. Much has changed in FI technology since the Renix. There is now a better understanding of the range of Lambda for maximum torque and the range of Lambda for best fuel economy. The shape of the torque curve may be "peaky" or "flat", for a particular camed engine, but the Lambda range will still contain the max. torque. Once we completely understand the Renix logic, there is no need to reprogram it. All that's necessary is to send parameters to the Renix that we want it to act on to get us the performance we want; i.e. max. torque, best fuel economy, etc. What's happening now is really cool!

Best regards,

CJR

His device acts like a wifi router and has a web server in it (not the phone). You connect your phone to it like you'd connect to your home wifi network, punch in the address into your browser on your phone and get a nice webpage.
We are getting pretty technical here. Having a web server running on the device is totally separate from "how" you connect to the device. Bluetooth is a short range transmission type. Wi-Fi is another longer range transmission type (such as in the home). A regular cellular type connection is even a longer transmission type. Each having a special niche.

Connecting anything wirelessly to a smartphone is usually done using Bluetooth. Some car alarm systems and remote starters utilize the cellular connection (SIM card required). If this is the case with this device, why would a regular Joe want to read live engine data from a remote location? Not a very common need I would suspect. I think we don't have all the information on this.

We are getting pretty technical here. Having a web server running on the device is totally separate from "how" you connect to the device. Bluetooth is a short range transmission type. Wi-Fi is another longer range transmission type (such as in the home). A regular cellular type connection is even a longer transmission type. Each having a special niche.
I now see what he is doing. Last time I tried to look at his page it was dead. Its working for me today. His device is working as a Wi-Fi hotspot. Meh. Wi-fi, Bluetooth makes little difference on connection. The big difference is that it is a working as a web server. Thats the big deal on this device, not the connection type.

Follow up thought on this; imagine driving down the road and looking at a web site page with data on it with your smartphone. Unless you are looking at it with a laptop and a large screen, it would be very difficult and dangerous. I would prefer the REM display under normal driving conditions.

Set the font size up to mimic the font size of the rem display. It should scroll through the data PIDs like the rem unit.

Back